emphysema

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So my dad(late 60's) has smoked non filter Camels for the last 45 years or so, and has emphysema(go figure). Well, he is convinced that there is a herbal remedy that will ease the symptoms....so he can still smoke. Kind of infuriating, isn't it? But the old man is tough as nails, and stubborn to boot...but he asked me to check into it. I did find some good info on this herb called ashwaganda, and picked him up some at a health store. Does anyone else know of some others that might help? I know the one on quit smoking, but....thats my dad "sigh". Any thoughts or help would sure be appreciated.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
My mom won't part with her smokes either. It is very frustrating to watch someone that you love abuse their bodies, but all you can do is make suggestions!

Good for you for trying to help, I don't know much about herbal remedies but there are lots here who do....I just wanted to send you a hug :hugs

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I hope to get some good info from this thread. I have a SIL who still smokes and suffers from debilitating migraines - I'll just bet the cause is the cigs. Not only will she not listen to any arguments against smoking, she changed her doctor who tried to warn her against them. Otherwise, she's a dear woman.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
hee hee. smoke chamomile. makes nicotine make you sick.

mullein is good. if you smoke it, it pulls all the crap together and you cough it out.

if you have to smoke, at least roll your own so you don't have the extra tar and formaldahyde. or buy something like american spirit that is as organic as cigs get.

can't get them to switch to pot, huh? :p

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My husband is a long term smoker and our marrage agreement is that he smokes outside and so it has been for 25 years.

I have looked into what herbs etc can help to mitigate the effects of smoking and have found that tumeric 1500mg per day and pycogenol 150mg a day have a good track record for detoxifying the bad chemicals. He also takes at least 4 - 6 grams of vitamin C in the ascorbic acid form daily also.

The tumeric does have absorption problems and should be taken with meals and purchase a form with Biopeperine in it or you can purchase 5 or 10 mg of that separtely to take with it. It significantly increases absorption of the herb.

Always, if the person is big you kinda got to figure on giving somewhat larger dosages, in my opinion.

Mullein is good for the lungs but I would take it orally. Take two teaspoons of the dried herb leaves and or flowers and steep to make a tea. I have drank this many times for cold and flu symtpoms where there is chest congestion The other herbs I mention above should reduce the amount of coughing due to their high anti-inflammatory properties and the antioxidants will neutralize toxins throughout the body.

For further herbal treatment of emphysema go here :
http://www.mothernature.com/Library/bookshelf/Books/41/47.cfm
and I strongly recommend the cayenne pepper remedy if there is chest congestion, cough.

There is not much to do about emphysemia. Otherwise called COPD, this occurs after structural damage has occured to the cells of the lungs, making them tough and incapable of transfering gases well. There are a couple of naturopaths who claim to have reversed COPD but it cannot be done unless the smoking stops.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
If he won't quit smoking try him on Electronic ciggs, they do not burn so no smoke, no tobacco, no crud like that.
THey do contain nicotine, and create a vapor to inhale, it is JUST like smoking without the crud.
I quit smoking a year ago using e-cigs, and I noticed better breathing within a couple of weeks.

There are SO many suppliers and different kinds of e-cigs, its hard to pick. There are so many flavors of the liquid as well - my fav being peppermint and raspberry. They do have tobacco flavours, I just don't really like that taste ! :gig

But really look into it. I smoked for 24 years, a pack a day! Never been able to quit before for longer than a week. I just passed my one year mark on April 26th! :D

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
abifae said:
if you have to smoke, at least roll your own so you don't have the extra tar and formaldahyde. or buy something like american spirit that is as organic as cigs get.

can't get them to switch to pot, huh? :p
I suggested the american spirit cigs, he might. As for pot, LOL!!!!!

Also, thanks for the mullein and the other suggestions. I'll write them down for him. Thanks for the kind thoughts also.