Energy drinks.....

raiquee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok, so my husband has an OBSESSION with energy drinks. I keep telling him it's going to shrink his weenie, but he doesn't listen. :rolleyes:

Point being, these things are pricey!! Like...2 bucks a drink! I would love (and he would love) for me to make it at home, but hes not sure I can make it because of all the extracts in it. I would think a tea type base would work, and just add taurine? Can you buy taurine? I have no clue!!

Just seeing if any of the lovely people at SS had any ideas/suggestions.

P.S. How can I stop this baby from kicking my cervix?!?! It feels like i'm getting goosed internally! *shudder*

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Kombucha!
And yes, those energy drinks do lots of bad things, not the least of which, they damage the cardiovascular system.
If he were to get oof caffeine as well, he would find he does not need the boost.
Needing an energy boost to survive is a sign of real damage in the body.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Point being, these things are pricey!! Like...2 bucks a drink!
More like $3 in my area. I just sent a 6 pack of the $^#*(&@#&*(@# stuff to my son in Iraq. He would live on it if he could. :sick

While I do think Kombcha is a much better alternative, I think a hard core energy drink addict would not transition over easily if at all.

I did a quick google search and I found some site with home made recipes. If you get brave and try any report back :D

http://www.energyfiend.com/2009/09/homemade-energy-drink-recipe
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,193,159176-250198,00.html
http://minareceptsamlingar.blogspot.com/2009/03/homemade-energy-drink.html
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/40-a-day/maggies-energy-drink-recipe/index.html

raiquee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wifey- Oh, he buys the off-brands luckily, otherwise i'd kick his bum out. We got a dollar store here and he can usually get them between 1.15-2.00 a can. I like it when he gets the Arizonas tho for a buck. That's hard to argue with.

BB- Hubby has a lot of bad habits, like smoking and drinking energy drinks. Which is weird, because hes really strict on eating REAL food and hates processed/fast food. But it all goes out the window come drinks! And he "enjoys" smoking cigs...which I counter with "Yeah, but I don't ENJOY paying 7 bucks a pack for them!!"

I guess I could make raspberry iced tea like I usually make him in summer, and it looks like the two things I would need to add is taurine and caffeine. Man, I don't want to kill him though! My main concern is having a big pitcher in the fridge...he will probably drink more?

I am going to try Kombucha on him though, I think he would like it. Does Kombucha release any caffeine when fermenting?

I'd love for him to get off caffeine, but you can lead a horse to water....

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
raiquee said:
Wifey- Oh, he buys the off-brands luckily, otherwise i'd kick his bum out. We got a dollar store here and he can usually get them between 1.15-2.00 a can. I like it when he gets the Arizonas tho for a buck. That's hard to argue with.

BB- Hubby has a lot of bad habits, like smoking and drinking energy drinks. Which is weird, because hes really strict on eating REAL food and hates processed/fast food. But it all goes out the window come drinks! And he "enjoys" smoking cigs...which I counter with "Yeah, but I don't ENJOY paying 7 bucks a pack for them!!"

I guess I could make raspberry iced tea like I usually make him in summer, and it looks like the two things I would need to add is taurine and caffeine. Man, I don't want to kill him though! My main concern is having a big pitcher in the fridge...he will probably drink more?

I am going to try Kombucha on him though, I think he would like it. Does Kombucha release any caffeine when fermenting?

I'd love for him to get off caffeine, but you can lead a horse to water....
I am very sensative to caffeine, and I have yet to notice a caffeine jolt from Kombucha.
I know tha jury is still out on whether or not it uses the caffeine as fuel while fermenting, but my experience says it does.

Kombucha flushes the body of toxins, so your dh will really need to go easy when he starts drinking it :)