Enviromnental Woes - a Volcanic Tsunami for the Coast?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
My BIL and SIL - the ones I don't get a long with - live in the Tampa area of Florida. They have a small daughter, and a new baby due in July. We asked what are they going to do if/when the oil gets to the Tampa area, and/or if a hurricane should come up and coat the whole state in oil.

He said they aren't worried about it. They don't think it will affect them. :(

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Tampa Florida obtains 19 million gallons of fresh water a day from their costal desalinization plant. I would be worried.

Also, north of Tampa electricity is made from a nuclear plant that cycles ocean water through it for cooling... and they are concerned about it.

Could mass migrations be coming Florida's way?

Better make sure they read that article I posted a link to. Time to wake up!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
There is an excellent chance we will poison ourselves out of sustainable existance by 2012, just like the predictions of doom say. :barnie

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Here's a quote from a recent Bloomberg Businessweek article.

While they suggest there is no threat, the CDC simultaneously advised 'everyone, including pregnant women to avoid spill-affected areas.

They say that there isn't a problem, but at the same times recommend avoiding the area. I hope that they are right, but it does make you wonder.

Here's a link to the article.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Where we just moved to we are not very far from the coast. The water here is salt/fresh mixed in some places. I fear we would be affected by the oil if a hurricane came. BTW I saw a crab for the first while I was fishing-it was on my line!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Rebecca, are you in Lousianna?

This youtube video is very sobering, if not downright terrifying.
I am getting so many mixed messages on what is going on down there. I do not understand why reporters to not have access to the waters, why no fly zones have been established, and why they are using dangerous and less effective products to disentegrate the oil

I am hoping that folks on this forum who live down that way are keeping their eyes and ears open and will report here on this thread. Meanwhile here is a video for you.

Seems the potential dangers of this spill far far exceed what the media is telling us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zy_wUGYUdQ&feature=player_embedded

and this video is very telling. Be patient with it, it has a slow start. I had not seen the weather report on this issue before, maybe because I don't have a TV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvoEgbNFSZo&feature=related

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
this is from that Bloomburg article Knoxx posted

"Redlener said children are more susceptible to inhalation problems associated with a spill, absorption through the skin and ingestion, given that many put things in their mouths and fail to follow public health guidelines. Children in the region are suffering psychologically, emotionally and academically from the combined effects of Katrina and the spill, he said."

I hate statements like this... Intellectual crapola. Head speak.

What they mean to say is that children are terrified, they know their health is in danger, they know the planet is in danger, they see their families and neighbors loosing work and the ablility to take care of them, they see their parents breaking down, they see their parents lying to them and telling them everything is OK, they are trying to fall asleep in their consciousness so they don't feel the fear and fear is coursing through their world in an unprecidented way.

Lets get real.