equine chicks ramblin journal

equine chick

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Okay I've lurked on here from time to time. I found this forum from byc and really know it's time for us to make our homestead more self suffcient. I know it would be impossible to say totally self suffcient because I like some of the fine living things such as electricity and an occasional trip to bath and body. Some of you might recognize my name from byc and I say hello to you and others I hope to know.
The past two years I've been working hard, we had some financial trouble dh got layed off, I ended up losing a whole flock of wonderful breeder birds marans and ameracaunas thanks to my neighbors dog and times were tough. We were able to keep the homestead thanks to my job, dh got a great job and we did great for awhile but is layed off again due to our wonderful recession. I'm a Rn by trade and though I won't say I love my job where I am working I do love what I do if that makes any sense. No one appears to be hiring right now, all the hospitals are at a hiring freeze around here due to the recession and the health reform bill so I will be thankful for what I have a job and plenty of work if I want it.
I am getting some chickens this spring and got the incubator out and plan on doing some egg hatching. I'm picking up some eggs locally tommorow of ameracaunas and have some eggs I'm swapping for some soap that I make on byc.
Soap making has become a wonderful business hobby for me. It started 2 years ago by me taking a class at a local school called homesteading. A friend was interested and I sorta tagged along for emotional support. I was amazed how I loved it, how I did not damage myself and finished the 12 week class. I then tutored under my instructor for a year and got my soapmakers certification at a soapmakers convention. I sell my wares locally at fairs and work and plan on going to the farm markets this spring and summer.
Okay I answered some of the questions nifty posted and hope to become more self suffcient by learning from myself and others.
01. Name? melodie
02. Gender? female( hence the name equine chick)
03. Disneyworld or Disneyland? been to dw
04. What is your favorite color?blue
05. What is your favorite kind of gum?bubble
08. Can you swim? yes
09. Do you like to swim?yes
10. Living arrangement?married
11. What's on your mouse pad? My soap making business logo
12. Favorite board game? scrabble
13. Favorite magazine? back yard poultry
14. Favorite Actor? gerald butler(need I say more)
15. Favorite Actress? julia roberts
16. Do you have an accent? no
17. Favorite smells? I love vanilla, lemon and orange scents and oh yeah cinnamon. A weird one but the earthy smell of my horses.
18. Least favorite smells? Chicken poo
24. Would you like to own a motorcycle? A donorcycle heck no!
25. Do you sing in the shower?no
26. Who's the best looking Disney character? definitely donald duck!
27. What is the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning? Seeing my husband and then going to feed the horses.
28. How many rings before you answer the phone? 2-3
29. How do you want to die? wierd question in my sleep I guess
30. Have you ever called a 900 number? yes
31. Gold or silver?gold
32. Would you ever go bungee-jumping?no
33. Do you like dressing up? no
34. Would you rather be short or tall? short
35. Do you enjoy reading?yes
36. What book are you reading now? just finished lovely bones
37. Favorite books? the shack, too many to mention
38. What was the last movie you saw? the blind side
39. Favorite movies? ps I love you, the good bye girl(original)
40. Do you sleep with a stuffed animal? no
41. What is your sign? saggitarrius
42. What are your personality traits? compassionate, good listener, love to laugh.
43. What's your biggest fear? Losing my spouse or chicldren
44. Would you ever have cosmetic surgery? not sure
46. Favorite foods? icecream, sweets
47. Chocolate or vanilla? vanilla really prefer strawberry
48. Do you like to drive fast? not really
49. Storms - cool or scary? cool
50. Do you like to dance?no
51. Do you do drugs?no
52. Do you smoke?no
53. What do you think of people who smoke? They have no idea the health affects it is doing to them.
54. Do you drink?occasionally socially(rare)
55. Favorite drink?margarita
56. Do you think men and women could ever be just friends without wanting each other?yes
57. Do you eat the stems of broccoli?yes
58. If you could have any job you wanted, what would it be? a vet
61. Any siblings?6
62. What movies have you cried in? too many
63. Do you believe in God?yes
65. Have you ever stolen anything? other than an occasional pen from work no
66. Do you procrastinate? heck yea
67. Do you believe in fate?yes
70. What is your favorite kind of music? country
71. What are your favorite bands/artists? lady antebellum, taylorswift, brookes and dunn
72. What was the last CD you got? it's been too long
74. Who do you admire the most? my husband
75. Internet Boyfriends and Girlfriends? yes girlfriends
76. Are you single?no
77. Favorite TV show? amazing race
80. What color are your eyes? blue'green
81. What is your natural hair color? ash blonde
82. But what color is it now? red
84. Any pets? horses, dogs, cat
87. Do you type with your fingers on the right keys?no
88. What's under your bed?books
89. What is your favorite number? 7
90. Favorite sport to watch? steeler football

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey Equine.....Welcome to SS. So glad you have decided to join us here. So sorry to hear that youd DH was layed off. We went through that last fal ourselves. VERY SCARY, as I do NOT work outside the home. Since I do all the gardening and animals...we were thankfull to have PLENTY food.
I hope things start looking up for you...and I cant waite to hear all about your adventures!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Welcome! We have had a tough couple of years here too. Not fun :(

I am interested in soap making but have not yet jumped in ($$ as always). I never knew that there was a certification you could get! Cool.

Glad to have you with us :)

equine chick

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Here is some info on certification and becoming a soapmaker. The start up will cost you a little bit at first but once you have all your supplies, molds it pays in the long run.
http://www.soapguild.org/

equine chick

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Well I picked up the eggs yesterday afternoon. I was gonna wait to put them in the heated bator to settle then thought I did not need to since I picked them up. Dh actually picked them up and brought them in the house like he was bringing in dynamite so afraid one of them would break or erupt. She gave me 30 eggs which I was very happy with so my new babies are in the bator and hoping these next 21 days goes quickly.:weee

equine chick

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I've been off line due to a couple of storms but tg the electric was still working. The eggs are doing well, 21 eggs from the 30. A few clears, one was dropped by my stupid self and a couple blood rings. I have more eggs on the way due to arrive this week. I traded a fellow chicken breeder from byc some soap for eggs. How about that deal, she actually contacted me and now I shall have a box full or maran, ameracana, araucana and silkies on the way.
My job things are getting worse so I'm on a job search right now. They laid off 55 people last week and so far no nursing but the secretaries were laid off on friday. I really can't lose my job dh is still laid off with unembployment it makes it barely manageable. Say a couple prayers for me.:hit
I am so hoping for spring. The weather has been in the 40's, but there is still probally a foot or more of snow on the ground. I did go riding at the state park with some friends yesterday and god it felt good to get out with my horse. I so can't wait for the spring air and sun. I swear this year I will not complain how hot it is.