Erin's Journal- Turning Frugal

<ErinElizabeth>

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, this is my journal of my journey of turning frugal and self sufficient. I'll start with the questions...
1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like? -I live in Arkansas. We have 4 seasons with temperatures b/t 5 degrees and 112 degrees
2. How many people are in your family? Marital status? -I live in a family of four. I'm single.
3. How would you define self sufficiency? -Being able to produce what you need to survive yourself
4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed? -I would show chickens, raise milk goats, learn to sew, grow an orchard, and more
5. Have you ever built a house , or other types of building? Do you want to? -I've built chicken coops. Yes, I do like to build for animals
6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet? -No I can't. My dad can and I would like for him to teach me, though
7. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient? -No one really. This is just my nature I guess
8 Cloth or paper? -Cloth
9. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more? -I have my chickens to a point where they pretty much pay for themselves. I grow my own garden. I am planting fruit and nut trees. I can fruits and veggies as well as make jelly. I would love to learn to sew, to get milk goats and learn to make cheese, yogurt, etc. I really would love to try just about everything
10. In what way(s) will you never choose to become self sufficient? -I will probably never make my own shampoo or conditioner. I prefer buying shampoo+conditioner that an expert has made. (who isn't me)
12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world? -In my room
13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi? -No I can not but I will be driving a tractor eventually
14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these? -I blow out eggs to make egg baskets if that counts. I don't have much to teach.
15. Can you have legally livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds? -Yes, we have few restrictions. I have chickens.
16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood? -No
17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing? -Yes, I do. I'm a tomato fan and can grow some awesome humming-bird vines
18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives? -No, I don't like fish much. I do hunt, though
19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country? -I have 20 acres in the country
20. Are you a Novice, Technician, General, Advanced? ARRL? -Not yet
21. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn? -Chickens are my specialty. There are too many things that I would like to learn to list
22. If you could create a degree and curriculum, what would you major in and what classes would you take? -I would go to college to be a biological scientist
23. Do you do wood work? framing, finish, cabinet? -I sometimes refinish furniture.
24. Are you interested in herbal medicine? -That depends on what it might do
25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be? -Hmmm, I'm not sure on that one. I would choose a place with fertile farm land, not the beach or anywhere too cold
26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking? -No
27. What would your ideal super hero/villain be? -To me a super hero would be anyone who could magically make plants grow with a flick of his/her's hand
28. Are your family or friends also interested in self sufficiency? -Not really
29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs? -I am trying to learn to cook better. I am interested in whole + natural foods. Raw milk, yes. Farm fresh eggs, yes
30. What was your MOS? -I'm not sure what that stands for
31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs? -I pick wild garlic, pick berries+fruits to make jelly out of, and hunt deer, wild hogs, and turkey
32. What skills do you have that help you be more self sufficient? -I know how to raise and care for livestock. I can grow a garden. I know how to can and preserve food
33. In which fictional universe would you most like to live? -One with people that band together to take care of each other and no crime
34. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy? -I would like to eventually
35 What is the mass/weight ratio of a European swallow carrying a coconut from the tropics to England? -Ummm, I think that's impossible?
36. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to? -No I haven't. At this point I don't think it's practical and I wouldn't want to
37. In what do you trust? -In God I trust
38. Do you make things yourself to save money? -I do if it's possible but often times I don't have the knowledge required to do so
39. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending? -Definitely. I watch my money a bit closer now

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Welcome to SS! I live right on the Missouri/Arkansas border. What kind of chickens do you have? I have some Australorps that have blue and grand champion ribbons under their belt. I just love them! I have others too with slightly less prestige, Americana, Marans (half out of Wade Jean lines) and silkies.

<ErinElizabeth>

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Nice to meet you! I'm actually planning on moving to the Missouri/Arkansas border in a few years. I've got quite a few different breeds of chickens. Bantam cochins, sizzles, silkies, and a variety of different layers in my laying flock including easter eggers and red sex links. When I move, I'm planning on just taking a few bantam hens to hatch out a new flock of birds under. I want to get some heritage breed chickens but at this point I'm not sure what breed (or breeds) I'll choose. I've got one black Australorp and I really like her.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:welcome

Hi from one of those 'too cold' (at least it is in February! Brrrrr!) places you mentioned not wanting to live in! :lol: :frow

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:welcome from South Jersey. Nice to see someone interested in becoming a biologist.

<ErinElizabeth>

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcomes everybody!
So, today I set out to be rid of the ink stains in a pair of jeans of mine. I tried using hair spray but it wouldn't come out. So, I thought and decided since holey jeans are in style anyways, I'll just make a hole in the jeans where the ink is! I'm pretty excited to have saved this pair of jeans. That will save me more than $50.
After looking at many different chickens, I've decided that next year I will get some bantam silver spangled hamburg hatching eggs from one of the best breeders in the nation and let my broody hens hatch them out. I've been trying to find some sq heritage Plymouth Rock hatching eggs as well. As of yet, no luck, but I will keep looking.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just a thought: no need to ever spend as much as $50 on a pair of jeans (eek!) when you can find great ones for way cheaper at the thrift store :cool:

In case you haven't holed your jeans yet, you could also cover the spot with an iron-on or sew-on patch--fabric stores have fun ones like flowers etc. :)

<ErinElizabeth>

Power Conserver
Reaction score
moolie said:
Just a thought: no need to ever spend as much as $50 on a pair of jeans (eek!) when you can find great ones for way cheaper at the thrift store :cool:

In case you haven't holed your jeans yet, you could also cover the spot with an iron-on or sew-on patch--fabric stores have fun ones like flowers etc. :)
I would love to find some good jeans at thrift stores but they never have my size. I need to learn how to size jeans down to fit. The iron-ons are a good idea. :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I have enough trouble finding jeans in my size in the store, so I've never even looked for them in thrift stores. Plus, I don't spend more than $20.00 on a pair. I'll wear them until they get holes in the knees, then cut the legs off and wear them as shorts. So, they'll last for years.