Essential oils

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok, well time for my swansons order and I try to add or replenish an essential oil each time.

So far I use frankincense, eucalyptus, lavender, rosemary, tea tree, and peppermint. I am thinking of adding rose oil.

What do you guys have in your essential oils kit and what do you use them for. Mostly I have made salves or massage oils. I add some to shampoo also. So maybe a massage oil might be made up real fast for a child who simply cannot sleep or has a bit of a cold or eczema. I made salves for bug bites which was very effective at killing the itch.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Heather can you tell us how you make your massage oils? Sounds interesting.

SkyM

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Well, your list must include castor oil, tea tree oil and basil oil as they are good for your overall health. Especially castor oil is great for your hair.

WyoLiving

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have Sandlewood and Rose essential oils in my aresenal. I use them in Almond Oil as a massage oil. Puts you right to sleep!

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am also adding Jasmine as in studies it was as effective as some medications for anxiety.

Now along with what oils we like. I would really love to see how we use them.

Right now most of mine are added into a carrier oil for massage or added into olive oil to use on my skin and hair, some are used direct for anxiety and sleep. When my kids are sick especially I make a ecucalyptus bubble bath for them. Just a bit of oil added to my goats milk bubble bath. The kids ask for it, even the 3 year old.

I have been reading about uses for castor oil. I wonder if it would help a slightly sluggish gall and liver. I am trying to go to a clean diet but I am sure my body could use a bit of help in the detoxing.

I also made a balm with peppermint and rosemary that my husband uses when he gets into seed ticks. Poor man. We scrape them off and rub this on. It kills the itch and the bumps are gone in just a couple days.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I only have sandlewood, which I use in soapmaking, but seeings as I am studying basic herbology, I think I'll get much more. Might even make my own eventually. My text book has instuctions.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I dab lavender oil on the bottoms of my feet @ night for sleep

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am really missing the boat on this subject. Heatherlynnky and others, can you post your recipes for these oils and where to order them? I am very intrested in this, but do not have any experience with it.

Sparks, lavender oil on the bottom of your feet for sleep?? Please tell me how you do this and where to purchase the ingredients. I wake up an hour or two after going to sleep and then lay awake for hours, going back to sleep just before time to get up. :( Sleeping all night would be soooooo nice!