European Whole Wheat Bread Recipe

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I got this one from Jackie Clay on Backwoods Home Magazine...

European Whole Wheat Bread

Put 2 1/2 cups warm water into a large warm bowl.
Add 2 Tbsp. dry yeast and stir gently. Let soften.

Mix in 3-4 cups whole wheat flour and mix well, making a heavy batter.

Cover and place in a warm place and let rise for an hour or so.
Now add 3-4 more cups of flour, one cup at a time, mixing well, until a nice ball is formed that is NOT sticky, but not stiff, either.

Return to bowl and let rise again, until nearly double. Divide the dough in half and place in greased tin or on a greased cookie pan. Slice top of loaf about half an inch deep, either lengthwise or several slashes, crosswise. Cover again and let rise.

Bake at 350F until golden brown and hollow sounding when thumped with finger. This will be about an hour. Remove from pan and let cool.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Do you happen to knowhow much yeast is in a standard packet?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
hoosier said:
Do you happen to knowhow much yeast is in a standard packet?
a standard packet is usually 2 1/2 teaspoons

YEAST SUBSTITUTIONS:
~~~~~~~
To convert cake yeast to instant yeast:

For 1 packed Tablespoon cake yeast use 2 teaspoons instant yeast or 2-1/2 teaspoons active dry

OR

To convert recipes calling for instant yeast to active dry yeast: Use 1.25 times the weight; or, for 1 teaspoon instant yeast, use about 1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

To convert recipes calling for active dry yeast to instant yeast: Use 0.67 times the weight; or, for 1 teaspoons active dry yeast, use 3/4 teaspoon instant yeast

To convert recipes calling for fresh compressed yeast to instant yeast: Use 0.32 times the weight; or, for 1 packed Tablespoon (21 grams) fresh yeast, use 2 teaspoons instant yeast

from the Bread Bible, from Rose Levy Beranbaum

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks! I am going to copy and save that.

I guess I will have to buy some more yeast as I only have one packet at the moment. It looks like I should buy a jar if this calls for 2T.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I buy in bulk (1 pound) at a time at my local bulk food or Amish store. Pretty reasonably priced compared to the packets or jars, imo. You can freeze it, but I just keep it in my refrigerator at the back on the lowest shelf, as I bake bread just about every week.