ever built a green house from old house windows?

bornthrifty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I ran into several old windows and am thinking about constructing a small green house out of them, I don't want to put in electricty (to grow all winter)

I just want to use it to winter over some vulnerable plants, and to extend my growing season,

I have some experience with green houses, in the commercial realm,

(so they used every gadget they could)

for me I am looking back at some old ways to retain heat in the hot house,

any one with experinence what do you think?

should I try to have a stone or cinder black knee wall and floors to hlep absorb the heat during the day and then hopefully have warmer nights in there, could I use sand as a floor (but that might invite critters that I don't want)

a sunken floor?

to use some of the earths heat, but I am concerned about flooding

also I have heard of people using milk jugs and such filled with water to help control the temps...

any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated, thanks so much!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I posted a link from a Mother Earth News article quite while ago about a greenhouse built from old windows. Maybe do a search?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I am using 5 gallon jugs full of water as a heat sink in the green house I am building. 5 gallons per sq ft of floor space. I'll let you know how it works out next year, as I didn't quite get it done for this winter. DARN IT!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Am doing the same thing, although the bulk of my glass is old shower doors. I will be using the 5 gal. jugs, painted black, also. I will be having an earthen floor and will be building it lean-to style against a white outbuilding.

Hope to start construction after the first of the year.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
The knee wall is a good idea, especially if it's dark colored. The water containers help keep the temps stable longer.
Black plastic on the floor absorbs heat too. Where you are at makes a huge difference in how many tricks you need to make it warm enough.

A black 55 gallon drum would absorb lots of heat if the greenhouse needs that much.

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
depends on where you live is right!

Here, It's supposed to get down to -10 tonight......:ep