Ever too tired to be SS?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
So I bought laundry soap tonight for the first time in a long time. I'm exhausted getting this business off the ground and running running running all the time, even on Saturdays, so I caved, and purchased soap rather than making it. :hide

Do ya'll ever find you just run out of time or energy to do the SS stuff you usually do? How do you balance SS and work? I've put in probably 90 hours this week, and I'm not done!! One week seems to spill over into another here lately, and I can't get caught up, even with my helper doing his job and working just as many hours as I do :/

Just curious if I'm the only occassional slacker :p

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You're not a slacker; sometimes things just get overwhelming, and then you need to do a bit of picking and choosing. Of all the things you are doing/want to do at the moment which are the ones you can let slide a little to have time to keep up with the others? If buying laundry soap means you have more time and energy to do other things (which are perhaps higher on the "must do" list) then I don't think anyone can say you are slacking.
As the saying goes "pick your battles" or, in this case "pick your SS projects" ;)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
True. Thanks ORchick :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Sometimes I ask myself why I bother. But then I have a conversation like the one I had yesterday. I was talking to a friend of mine. She couldn't figure out why I bother to do wood. Then I told her what my electric bill was last month-$168 for a house that, w/the exception of the wood stove and the "solar dryer" is all electric. Her electric bill was higher and she also had to pay for propane for heating, etc.

I will admit to being extremely tired right now. I'm tired of doing wood. I'm tired of the cold weather. But, spring is (hopefully) just around the corner and I am making progress on cleaning, gardening, yard work, and the farm, so hopefully things will get a little easier soon.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Yep, all the time. But when I pull a pot pie out of the oven with most of the ingredients grown by my own hand, it reminds me why I try.

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm a slacker too. I bought shampoo and conditioner to use at the gym instead of taking my natural stuff. And I dug out an old thing of typical detergent to take to the laundromat the other day - I was too mentally tired for the "looks" and potential run-in with the manager.

And I was supposed to hand-cut the grass in my yard yesterday, to store up for the rabbits to eat. I didn't. In fact, I'm considering lawn mowing it all down and buying pellets instead. I'm really over those darn rabbits.

But tomorrow is another day. I can start over if I want to. :cool:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I agree with you FJ!

Do I sometimes wonder why I work so hard? Yep....but then I ask myself what I would be doing with my time if I didn't work so hard. I don't have an easy answer.

I could relax after work instead of coming home and starting my 'other' job and I could buy things ready made instead of doing things myself. I could - if I were ok with mediocre. I work hard because I enjoy the rewards....but, there are times when I got no more work in me, lol. Those are the times when I open a can for dinner instead of cooking from scratch.

Like ORChick said - this life is all about picking your battles. I choose to work hard because it beats all the other options. I prefer home grown, I prefer home cooked, I prefer natural as opposed to chemical.... I don't know how to do it any other way.

It's kinda funny... we work hard so we can afford things. But then we find out that money can't buy the satisfaction that comes from doing for ourselves.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Beautifully put FEM. I'm just old, fat, and tired sometimes :lol: Yesterday...well all last week I suppose, has been crazy. GLAD it's Sunday!!! :D

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Awwww, thanks!

But, Sis, you probably work harder than all the rest of us put together! You just gotta rest the body sometimes, cuz if not you break down and if you break down you get further behind, and if you get further behind you gotta work harder... :he

Enjoy your Sunday!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
frustratedearthmother said:
Awwww, thanks!

But, Sis, you probably work harder than all the rest of us put together! You just gotta rest the body sometimes, cuz if not you break down and if you break down you get further behind, and if you get further behind you gotta work harder... :he

Enjoy your Sunday!
amen. We need to rest the mind, too. Some chose the lifestyle because they have no choice, others because they want to.

I've had friends who say I should give up the professional job and do farming/gardening/canning full-time. Problem is Arthur Fields - How Ya Gonna Keep'em Down On The Farm, 1919