Ever Tried a Treadle Feeder?

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For those of you with full-sized poultry (since bantams would be too light), have you ever tried a treadle feeder? The contraption protects that expensive feed from rats, sparrows, and the weather:

slide-image-1.jpg

I recently talked to a lady at the library about ordering spring chicks, and she's going with Buff Orpingtons, a heavy breed. She was excited about ordering one of these to simplify the feeding process.

I wonder how common it is to find your flock completely unimpressed with your cash outlay on what to them appears to be an alien UFO with silver jaws that will eat them if they get too close.

If you have used one, did your chickens take to it right away, or did you have to wait weeks for them to get accustomed to it?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I haven't tried one but have looked at them. Metal is a better option than the wood ones you can get plans to make. Rat would just gnaw in.

Ive seen rats heavier than 6 month old silkies so didn't bother concidering it for them.

Hanging feeders in the large fowl pen. The numbers are getting low in there from age. Might try one for the new chicks I'll get this year when they are large enough.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I've not used one myself, but I know someone that has one and he is very happy with it!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DH made a wood one. He had a hard time getting it to work, and by then the chickens were afraid of it. Sad, I wanted it to work so badly!