Evil Roosters

hobobrando

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Last year I noticed a few chickens hanging around my yard that weren't mine. No big deal I thought. This spring 2 of the roosters came back and were hanging around. Well one of my meat chicks got out and I found it all bloodied up and in serious condition in my backyard. I had to puut the chick down and was going to shoot the two roosters but had no proof that they did it. Later that day I planted my onions and went inside when I came back out I noticed the roosters were in the garden and some of my onions had been torn out. I went and got a low powered BB gun hoping it would teach them a lesson and they wouldnt come back. It has been 3 days and each one of the roosters has been shot with the BB gun at least 30 times but they keep coming back. Should I use a more perminant solution?

hobobrando

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I do have fencing but the meat chick was small enough to squeeze under the coop and out the other side. Don't have the money to fence in the garden though.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I'd say either a stronger bb gun, a .22, or trapping. Then perhaps sometime in the stew pot sauna.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm with K0xxx. I say you go hunting. Try to find out where they roost (if it's on your property) and it'll be easier. If you know that they are a neighbors, I would bring it up with them and tell them that the next time these two roos are in your yard, they won't be coming back. You could try to put out a live trap with some veggies in it.

hobobrando

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well I guess its not the roosters I have to worry about. I went to go check on the chickens and found 2 of my laying hens had managed to pull the chain link fence off the nails that were holding it and got into the meat chick brooder. One of them had a peck wound on its head but it wasnt to serious then I realized one was missing. After a search I found it curled up suffering with a huge hole in its side and an open bleeding wound on its head. I had to put it down and I moved the rest of them into the garage. I am so angry with myself, although it would have been much worse had I gone to school today and had not cought it before they were all killed.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hobobrando said:
Well I guess its not the roosters I have to worry about. I went to go check on the chickens and found 2 of my laying hens had managed to pull the chain link fence off the nails that were holding it and got into the meat chick brooder. One of them had a peck wound on its head but it wasnt to serious then I realized one was missing. After a search I found it curled up suffering with a huge hole in its side and an open bleeding wound on its head. I had to put it down and I moved the rest of them into the garage. I am so angry with myself, although it would have been much worse had I gone to school today and had not cought it before they were all killed.
You had to "put it down"----I hope you ate it!!

I definitely would have!!

Anything "intruder" is to be caught and dealt with......protect your critters, they rely on you do do so, either by eating those others or doing the necessary fix.

I don't see a problem here other than "what to do" and "how fast"

for me, I fix ANY critter problem fast and hard...!! LOL