excalibur dehydrator?

ashylove1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
does anyone have one? if so which model? i am looking to upgrade my dehydrator, and this is the brand i keep seeing...

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm upgrading this year too, and even tho excalibur is a bit more expensive than the cheapies from Wally World, they are more heavy duty, fit better on counters or in cabinets, and will last longer. Not sure which one I'll get ... since I dehydrate almost everything, probably the biggest I can afford.

ashylove1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
funny you should mention the walmart ones... thats what i am upgrading from. i mean it works, and i am gifting that one to my bff who is starting to stock her house up as well... but i HATE rotating the trays. so far the excalibur is the only one you dont need to rotate. since i am going to be getting it with the tax money this year i think i am getting the biggest best one, with additional silicone mats for the fruit/yogurt rollups... hehe. i am so excited about it.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Excalibur is the best, I went ahead and got the Nesco Gardenmaster 1000 watts because it came with extra trays, solid trays and a dehydrating book and it was cheaper. I have been very pleased with it.

It is 126.99 on Amazon right now.
*eta I do not have to rotate the trays when I am drying on the model I have, it drys very evenly.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have the 3900. Upgraded from...hmmm...I think it was an American Harvest? Passed that on to my MIL, since she wants one to test the waters with. The difference is night and day. Works about 1,000X better than my old one! Missed getting the teflon tray liners for free, by I think a week, when I bought mine. :hit They are on my wish list, but I make do with saran wrap for now :D I have been buying bags of frozen veggies, nine at a time, filling up my trays, then vacuum sealing the end result in 1/2 gallon mason jars. Now my pantry looks pretty :lol: I also use it to raise dough when I'm in a hurry - works great, just have to remember to cover the dough with greased saran wrap and to put a pie plate with water in it on the bottom of the machine. Only negative's I can think of - mine doesn't have a timer/auto shut off, which would be handy, and it is quite large.

ashylove1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
hehe!!! i am so excited! and only you all will understand this.... i just placed my order for the 9 tray excalibur!!! i also got a couple books to help and a ton of jerky seasonings to try and those awesome silicone sheets so i can make fruit rolls!!! yay! i cant wait to get it!!!

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ashylove1 said:
hehe!!! i am so excited! and only you all will understand this.... i just placed my order for the 9 tray excalibur!!! i also got a couple books to help and a ton of jerky seasonings to try and those awesome silicone sheets so i can make fruit rolls!!! yay! i cant wait to get it!!!
I have the 9 tray excalibur. I cut & trim 14 lbs of beef and it all fits in one batch.

ashylove1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
animalfarm said:
ashylove1 said:
I have the 9 tray excalibur. I cut & trim 14 lbs of beef and it all fits in one batch.
wow! thats awesome!!! what cut of beef do you use and how do you slice it??? so far i have only attempted to make jerky with ground beef....... im afraid of the cut meat nt drying properly and then getting sick or something in the process...

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have a lot of beef that needs to be processed due to a screw up by the butcher. I am using round steaks right now. One more batch to go. You can cut either with or across the grain. With the grain will give you a more chewy jerky and across the grain will give a more crumbly jerky. Personal preference is how you decide. Try cutting both ways to see what you like best. Brisket is good or any roast that is not high in fat (too much waste).

Cut the meat a bit less then 1/4" but not too thin as it will be too salty without good flavour. Dry until it cracks but does not break when bent in half. A full load can take as long as 8 hours depending on the thickness.

If you use meat other then hamburger, you will have much less risk of getting sick. Hamburger has the highest risk, as all the bugs get mixed throughout the meat when it is ground. That is why you cook hamburger well but can eat rare steaks.

It is important to use very lean meat. It is the fat that will spoil. When you trim your meat, remove as much fat and gristle as possible. I would not use hamburger unless it is ground from ruthlessly trimmed meat; as close to 0 fat as possible. That being said, do eat your hamburger jerky but keep it in the fridge. A silicone dessicant should be used for storage if any jerky survives the family snack fest.

Do a google search for recipes; there are tons of them.

Latest posts