Excellent Cough Remedy UPDATE and CHANGED!!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I finally asked my mother about this one because I remeber my grandmother making this as a cough remedy for her family...and it really works well! Good for smokers cough, whooping cough, and those coughs that linger after a cold. Apperently turnips are really good at lossening and bringing up mucous. You won't have mucous problems for along time after treating yourself with this.

Take a turnip and hollow it out...keep the top as a lid for your container.
Chop up some of the peices you take from inside and put back in then fill with brown sugar packed tightly. Let stand...FOR NO MORE THAN THREE DAYS then strain the syrup into into a container and store in your fridge. Take a teaspoon or two of the syrup when needed.
I am making myself some this afternoon I have a cough that I have been trying to get rid of for a couple of weeks now.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Thanks, MorelCabin! I'm going to file that one away. This is the horehound drops recipe I found in my mother's files....

1 cup horehound tea
4 cups sugar
2 cups dark or light corn syrup

Horehound tea is available in specialty health food stores.

Boil horehound leaves to make a good strong tea.
Drain, keeping 1 cup of liquid tea.
Combine sugar and corn syrup, then add 1 cup of tea liquid.
Boil until it barely begins to caramel.
Put onto a flat greased cookie sheet, in a thin layer.
Start cutting with kitchen shears or scissors as soon as it starts to harden on edges, or you can cut shapes with metal edged cookie cutters.

Horehound should not be used in excess.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
And that one I will file as well:>) Thanks Keljonma! These old secrets are the best kept, and they come in real handy. Cough meds in the store really only supress symptoms...the old remedies get to the problem and fix it:>)

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
thanks for this with all these allergies around I have been one sick kid. coughing, sneezing, sore throts. ugh

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'll have to try this. I feel like I have a kid sitting on my chest right now! Does it actually taste OK? Maybe not like something I'd want to savor, but not gag-inducing?

angie68

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have an old remedy for cough. My grandmother gave this to me because my children gag at the sight of anything called "medicine"! LOL....Doesn't matter if it's really cake, you call it meds and they're gone!

Take Vicks vapor rub and rub on the bottoms of their feet. Rub it in well till warm, use quite a bit, and cover with sock! Do this when they are in bed ready to sleep and won't be walking on their feet until morning!

Don't ask me how this works but it does. I've heard that the feet are the center for all organs in the body, this could very well have something to do with it.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
angie68 said:
I have an old remedy for cough. My grandmother gave this to me because my children gag at the sight of anything called "medicine"! LOL....Doesn't matter if it's really cake, you call it meds and they're gone!

Take Vicks vapor rub and rub on the bottoms of their feet. Rub it in well till warm, use quite a bit, and cover with sock! Do this when they are in bed ready to sleep and won't be walking on their feet until morning!

Don't ask me how this works but it does. I've heard that the feet are the center for all organs in the body, this could very well have something to do with it.
we use the vicks on the feet all the time... it'll stop that nagging bedtime cough instantly! It is amazing.

Another tip for those of you with arthritic fingers...vicks your joints and wrap them in a bandade before bed within three days it is gone. I actually use Watkins medicated ointment for this and it works like a charm!