exfoliant

watsonlane

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm sure someone on here has a recipe for home made exfoliant ......will you share??? pretty please?!?!?!?

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Honestly, I use baking soda. LOL. It works great and it's cheap.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Whirl some oatmeal in the food processor until fairly fine. Mix a bit with warm water & gently scrub.

Here's a recipe for a good alpha-hydroxy mask.
1 apple, cooked and pureed
1/4 t. honey (humectant, regenerative)
1/4 t. milk (or soymilk) (alpha hydroxyl acid, enzymes digest skin cells)

For Dry Skin, add 1/2 t. brown sugar (exfoliates, moisturizes, alpha hydroxyl acid)

For Oily Skin, add 1/4 t. apple cider (tonic action promotes skin circulation; alpha hydroxyl acid; regulates pH).

Combine the ingredients for your facemask. Mix gently and apply to your face avoiding the eye area. Rest and relax for 10-15 minutes while your wrinkle removing facemask gently exfoliates, nourishes and conditions your face. Rinse with warm water and apply the appropriate moisturizer for your skin type.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have very dry skin. I mix together sugar and oil. Massage in with warm water. As the sugar dissolves, the exfliation gets less coarse, and sugar shrinks pores.

For a coarser exfoliant, use cold water or replace sugar with salt.

For not-so-dry skin, add a drop or two of dish detergent.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Salt mixed with olive oil. Easy Peasy! :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Large batch....2 c. epsom salts, 3 c. white sugar, brown sugar or sea salt, your choice. Mix well. Add color...I just use food coloring...it only takes a dab. This usually mixes in better if you use your hands and really work it into the crystals evenly~use a scrunching motion.

Add essential oils after the food coloring....these are optional but really make the experience more pleasurable and, if you use citrus, will make your scrub last longer without going rancid. Also are natural antibiotic, antifungal, antimicrobials~good for the skin.

Regular olive oil...the virgin is a little dark and smells stronger. Add the oil slowly and mix often, let it sit a little before continuing to add. You want this mix to look like a good icee or slushy. Too oily and it's gloopy to use, too dry and you have crumbling and hardening at the top of the container. If you add too much too quickly, you may use too much and then have to drain it off..this is costly both in the waste of E. oils and in olive oil.

If you use essential oils, you will want to store it in dark containers.

These make excellent gifts and are nigh addictive! Caution users that tub will be slick. Don't place in glass jars....believe me, you will appreciate this when it is dropped from slippery fingers and shatters at your feet in the tub or bathroom floor.

Pat dry, not rub....this leaves the olive oil in place and doing it's job.

Diabetics should not use the sugar scrubs as they actually feed fungal skin infections but the salt is great for these, as is the citrus essential oils.

WARNING: Men love these and will use them all if you don't hide them! :p

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm with Abi on this,....baking soda,..works well and is cheap. :)