expecting lambs soon, I think! (?)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I posted some actual questions over on BYH, but thought I'd post here too, mainly just to work off nervous excitement :p

I rather-belatedly (last two weeks' weather was *awful* except when husband not available to help) caught up all five sheep today, wormed and boostered and separated the girls and boys back into separate pens, and did a (very pathetic attempt at a) modest crutch-shearing on the girls in case of oncoming lambs.

And I think there WILL be lambs? It works the same in sheeps as in goats, yes, where the vulva gets all puffy on either side if they are advancedly pregnant? (Plus I *think* I felt a lamb inside one, thru the wool, when condition-scoring them)

They were marked by the ram on Nov 1 and 8, so lambs should be in 1-3 wks. Eeek! I am NOT ready for this! (Well, supply-wise I am, but not mentally :p)

The shetland ewe seems very beer-bellied but her vulva doesn't look anything like the two presumably-pregnant dairybred girls'. So I dunno if she is open or just got bred a month or two after I quit putting the crayon on the ram.

Now I am all afraid of things that could go wrong. Oddly my OWN pregancies did not particularly make me paranoid about bad outcomes, I was always pretty "well, whatever happens I'll cope", but having presumably-pregnant SHEEP about to pop turns out to actually be very stressful for me. I feel stupid, but, there ya go :p

Pat

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Aww, dont worry...especially about the shetland. They are great mothers, and rarely need help! I have never helped mine...they just go in the barn, have babies, then haul them outside! LOL Heck, I didnt even know they were ready! I have to get out there and shave mine down a bit as well...I know one is preggers...at least I THINK she is! If not..wow, time to cut the hay out! LOL

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
I can so feel for you. I have 2 Jacobs due first week in May. I haven't a clue what to do. I am flying by the seat of my pants. I have scheduled "Hair and Nails" for the 4th of April. Other than that, I am not prepared at all.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Damummis said:
I have scheduled "Hair and Nails" for the 4th of April.
LOL

That's much better than I could figure out how to describe it to someone this morning -- I called it "changing the oil and taking off the snow tires" :p

Good luck to you for yours -- you have longer to worry and wait than I (presumably) do!

Pat