EXTREME times: Hoe cakes

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Receipe: Cormeal - add water to consistancy of pancake....cook on hot griddle edible as is ... they call them "hoe" cakes because the worker in the field would heat and cook these on the hoe for the meal ... I used a self rising cornmeal because it is what I had at the time . ate them plain .... then dipped in syrup (great)...then tried putting jelly on top (OK too) anyway this can be very useful in "extreme times" am sure there is another name for these but this is what I know....

DeniseCharleson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Kingsfarm said:
...am sure there is another name for these but this is what I know....
jonnycake, johnny cake, journey cake, shawnee cake, johnny bread, hoe cake, hoecake...

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DeniseCharleson said:
Kingsfarm said:
...am sure there is another name for these but this is what I know....
jonnycake, johnny cake, journey cake, shawnee cake, johnny bread, hoe cake, hoecake...
It pretty much ruins the hoe however. The temper is gone and the softened steel won't hold an edge,:cool:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I call it hot water cornbread. It amuses me that you regulate it to "extreme times" when we eat it as part of our regular meals. :lol: I simply pour some cornmeal in a bowl, add BOILING water to the desired consistancy, make patties and fry in oil. It is a whole lot easier on the garden hoe and me too! :gig The boiling water cooks the cornmeal. I add a little salt, sometimes onion or jalepenos too. You can add sugar for a sweeter taste. It is a given when I fry fish, hot water cornbread is going to be on the menu. It frys better if it is a little stiffer dough than pancake batter.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We used to eat what we called corn cakes....corn meal and flour batter sort of poured into the skillet and fried much like a pancake. They are great with corn, onions, green peppers, bacon, etc. in them. They are even better when eaten cold in your hand later in the day.

Haven't had one since I was a teen.... :(

Should get that recipe off the ol' Bat and make some up. :drool

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Add a little more water and you have a porridge. Call it polenta to make it sound more appitizing.

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
wonderful.....thank you for all the replies....will be trying them all.....yea!!!! in extreme times if they come...sure will be a lot better eating (more flavorful) some won't even have this much, we are all blessed...

Latest posts