Fall garden. I need help

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We are in a drought. My garden isn't doing so well. I have never had a fall garden but since my first one didn't do so well I need to do something to fill the freezer and pantry. I would love input from others about what plants would do best.

Thanks

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have a chart of things to plant in the Fall and when. You are to the North of me though, so I'd need your frost dates to be able to help.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Nevermind. I looked you up, looks like you're a bit too late for much other than greens. Sorry :hu

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There are lots of people in the boat with you. At this point, it may be best to check out farmers' markets to see if they have decent prices on things to can or freeze. Buy canned goods from grocery stores, check specials. Use dented and dinged stores if you have them. some times they have wonderful bargains.

shaner

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
yu get the same climate i get i bet here in north central ohio, those mid sept frosts dont give us much time for fall gardens especially if u have limited space

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I live in Ohio, you can extend past the frost date by using row covers and planting things like beets that tolerate the cold. Small space is easier to protect. Spinach, chard, maybe some peas.

The real issue this year I see is having ample water. I had to water heavily to keep the garden production going this year.

At this point, So Lucky, I think, has it about right, scour those farmer's markets for end of day/end of week leftovers. Farmers would usually rather sell out, even at a reduced price, rather than have to cart it all home, just to have it become pig food.

Good Luck!

Zoldani

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Cabbage, broccoli, lettuce, brussels sprouts, kale, peas, garlic, swiss chard, radishes, carrots and chives are fairly frost tolerant. I pick brussels sprouts all year long and I am in the great white north (zone5).

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Zoldani said:
Cabbage, broccoli, lettuce, brussels sprouts, kale, peas, garlic, swiss chard, radishes, carrots and chives are fairly frost tolerant.
I'm in zone 4 and can do most of the above as well (planted carrots, beets, radishes, peas and romaine early last week). :)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Here's what I have been and am going to plant:
spinach
lettuce (50 days or less)
radishes
turnips
chard
kale
arugula
choi
kohlrabi

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good question. I'd like to know, too.

We're in zone 5, Colorado Plains, and I had to water heavily just to get anything to sprout. Still, so much died.... only 4 yellow pear tomatoes, and a few beans plus a ton of tondo zucchini. NO cucumbers, which is sad because that and tomatoes are the main things our egg customers wanted.

Just starting to get a little rain here 1-2 afternoons a week, so that'll help. Not sure what we'll plant but here's a thought:

-beets (if I can find some seeds)
-lettuce/spinach
-carrots ???
-purple cabbage
-cauliflower
-broccoli
-radishes

Latest posts