Family Cows for sale on Craigslist

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
We bought our cross as a heifer. She can't even be bred until next summer, but I felt that gives us plenty of time to get accustomed to each other. I was also told, by an old dairy farmer, to 'check' her on a regular basis. He said it gets her used to you 'being down there'. Maybe he was just trying to see if I'd do it :hu I do, and she moved away quite a bit at first, but now just stands there, as if I were patting her back or checking her hoof. I personally wanted a cow that knew nothing but my way of milking, so if I do things weird, she won't know the difference! :lol:
I agree totally with that. I would make it a practice to lead, tie, brush and massage that little heifer's bag at least everyday.

When we raise a colt or filly we get them into a very similar routine as a baby that we will expect from them as an adult. We handle feet and their entire body every day. We lean over them and on them lightly, put blankets on them, light bareback pads, line drive them and sometimes as yearlings even break them to drive! When the time comes that we ask them to give us a ride we just basically step on and go. No bucks, no fears ... no problems!

I would apply the same principles to a heifer. I would want her VERY reliable, before I get in ... what we call in horse training "a committed position" or a position that prevents you from moving rapidly to a safe place. When I milk I would be planning to SIT, with a bucket under her, in a position that puts me at risk of getting kicked. No matter the training a large animal is always dangerous, but an animal that is calm about what you are doing and trusts your touch will be far less likely to hurt you.

SD Farm Girl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Everyone has their own opinion but $2,500 per cow is obscene. In my area, Jersey cattle are very hard to find yet the average price is $1500 for a bred heifer ( 2 for one; Mom, baby and in milk). Maybe I read more into his ad than was there but it sounds like he 'trains' the cows and sells them which makes it unlikely he is raising them from birth himself. He's probaly buying them cheap and mix breeds already, breeding them at first chance and selling high once they calve.
"Taking milk only when you want it" will give your cow mastitis and effect her milk flow. If you aren't milking regulalry, she will adjust to only make enough for baby.
A lot of good points made by other posters that an expensive, calm cow is better than a free wild cow. Jerseys are known for their gentle temperment but you still don't want to be squatting down to milk and get kicked. Perhaps your local Extension office or a Dairy Board in your area could get you in contact with a reliable seller. Be very careful about buying young dairy heifers from a livestock auction to raise. They might be Freemartins and sterile if they had a bull for a twin. Dairys will unload those in a heartbeat, as they are useless.
A milk cow is a big investment in time and money and is expensive to feed, but the reward is fabulous! Mine more than pays for herself just in the milk she gives and she only has two working teats (the people that owned her previously didn't milk her regularly and she got mastitis in two teats). She raised her calf, gives me enough for milk, butter, cheese, cream and buttermilk and is now raising an Angus bottle calf which I'll sell to buy more grain for winter.
She certainly isn't a beautiful show cow but she is very kind, comes when you call her name, gives more milk than I need daily and puts up with me being a beginner and learning on her. She even lets me pick her feet to clean them. Living out here alone, safety is a priority and I couldn't have found a gentler cow although others told me not to buy her just because she only had two working quarters. She is perfect for me.
It may take you longer but it is so important that if you aren't familiar with knowing what to look for in a dairy cow , take someone knowledgable with you, or only purchase through a highly recommended buyer that others have used, and can verify that you will get a healthy cow and not regret your purchase.
Good luck and happy shopping!

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmFresh said:
No matter the training a large animal is always dangerous, but an animal that is calm about what you are doing and trusts your touch will be far less likely to hurt you.
Okay, got it. Now, let me ask this . . . there are two of us. Would it be confusing for the heifer if we both do the milking? I'm thinking what if one is unavailable or busy then the other could step in. I'd like to go out of town next March and August. Lee would need to be "known" by her too.

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SD Farm Girl said:
A milk cow is a big investment in time and money and is expensive to feed, but the reward is fabulous! Living out here alone, safety is a priority and I couldn't have found a gentler cow although others told me not to buy her just because she only had two working quarters. She is perfect for me.
It may take you longer but it is so important that if you aren't familiar with knowing what to look for in a dairy cow , take someone knowledgable with you, or only purchase through a highly recommended buyer that others have used, and can verify that you will get a healthy cow and not regret your purchase.
Good luck and happy shopping!
WOW, SD Farm Girl, that was a touching story. I've asked Lee about ability to manage a farm (heaven forbid) if I were left alone. (Heck, I've questioned whether I would even stay in this area in that event-prolly wouldn't). Anywho, I'm encouraged to read another woman "doin' it for herself; standing on her own two feet" as Aretha Franklin said in her song. ;)

Wish we had ability to add colors, bold, italicize, and change fonts on this forum :)

SD Farm Girl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
lee&lyricm,
I'm sure you could manage a farm on your own, if you like doing it. I was strictly a city girl in CA and read books all the time about living in the country. I finally decided to just do it. I couldn't be happier. Well, when it's 40 below and snowing I could be happier .......hee hee

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Despite the fact that I am still mostly familiar with beef cattle, I am seriously considering a dairy cow or possibly a dairy goat. A cow is a huge investment in time and effort. You're "married" to them if you want to avoid problems like mastitis (as SD farm girl mentions.)

The discussion on getting a knowledgeable buyer is of PARAMOUNT importance so you don't get hoodwinked for a lot of money at the sale barn. That could really hurt. It would NOT be wrong or unwise to pay a vet to examine the animal prior to paying for her. If the owner objects, you might suspect that they are hiding something and may want to stop the deal before it goes through.

The vet will probably be the one you call for her if she develops a problem and you might as well establish an early (and friendly) relationship with the vet. That way, you can feel safer about your monetary investment as well as the health of your animal. Her health is directly related to your health so take good care of her. Once you have her, she is your complete responsibility because she can't go forage for herself. (but I'm sure you already know that.)
She'll probably appreciate a good field of grass and a place to walk and exercise. Be sure to have enough land for her.
Just my 2 cents.
Priority: Routine
1808_images.jpeg

Trim sends
//bt//

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SD Farm Girl said:
lee&lyricm,
I'm sure you could manage a farm on your own, if you like doing it. I was strictly a city girl in CA and read books all the time about living in the country. I finally decided to just do it. I couldn't be happier. Well, when it's 40 below and snowing I could be happier .......hee hee
Snickles . . :bun:yuckyuck

SD Farm Girl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Now, let me ask this . . . there are two of us. Would it be confusing for the heifer if we both do the milking? I'm thinking what if one is unavailable or busy then the other could step in. I'd like to go out of town next March and August. Lee would need to be "known" by her too.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think it would be a benefit if she was used to more than one person milking her. I know several people that the husband/wife or children each take a side and milk at the same time to empty the milk out faster. If your family is going to be involved with caring for the animals on your homestead, they should all be familiar with the cow, and the cow with them.