Family Cows for sale on Craigslist

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
If we could sell a silent rooster as well I am sure we would have a high dollar item!

:p

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Even though I am one of those 'inexperienced' I was thinking the ad was kinda strange too. He probably is trying to market to newbies that don't have a clue. But from my perspective, I can see alot of positive here.

1.) Jersey's are naturally a more docile breed

2.) Jersey's give alot more cream (milk fat) than say a Holstein

3.) we all know 2 or 4 legged animals have a mind of their own sometimes so I can see where the training would come in handy, especially talking about a 800-1200lb animal that you're gonna be touching THERE! :lol: It can be a bit intimidating.

4.) I've not been purposely looking for a milk cow, but anywhere I've been around here...they are few & far between especially a Jersey. What few dairies there are left in this area mostly have Holsteins being milked by machine. So one trained either way would be a big plus.

5.) I would think his wording of 'only take what you need & leave the rest for the calf' & not having to milk it twice a day is to calm newbies fears of 'all that extra work' or too much milk being wasted.

If I was in that area I'd be very interested, but I don't know I'd want to pay that price either.

eta...just to say that the part about 'too much milk being wasted'.....it wouldn't have a chance at this house!! ;)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
Even though I am one of those 'inexperienced' I was thinking the ad was kinda strange too. He probably is trying to market to newbies that don't have a clue. But from my perspective, I can see alot of positive here.

1.) Jersey's are naturally a more docile breed

2.) Jersey's give alot more cream (milk fat) than say a Holstein

3.) we all know 2 or 4 legged animals have a mind of their own sometimes so I can see where the training would come in handy, especially talking about a 800-1200lb animal that you're gonna be touching THERE! :lol: It can be a bit intimidating.

4.) I've not been purposely looking for a milk cow, but anywhere I've been around here...they are few & far between especially a Jersey. What few dairies there are left in this area mostly have Holsteins being milked by machine. So one trained either way would be a big plus.

5.) I would think his wording of 'only take what you need & leave the rest for the calf' & not having to milk it twice a day is to calm newbies fears of 'all that extra work' or too much milk being wasted.

If I was in that area I'd be very interested, but I don't know I'd want to pay that price either.

eta...just to say that the part about 'too much milk being wasted'.....it wouldn't have a chance at this house!! ;)
Trouble is, that these cows are only 1/3 Jersey :/

Hillsvale

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
I have absolutely no problem with cross breeds.... they produce some beautiful animals, I have several sheep here that agree but when I was at the auction the other day (and farm animals here are typically 2 times the price as the states).... and a pure bred jersey cow peaked at 900. (and she was preggers) and this fellow is pricing at 2500. for a mix bred that wears a halter.... dairy breeds are fairly docile to begin with, I haven't had a cow but wouldn't be concerned with a dairy cow....

Even my dear sweet wolly mamouth highland cow that come in the spring...... docile!

Buddy is looking for some quick easy cash...

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Hillsvale said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
I have absolutely no problem with cross breeds.... they produce some beautiful animals, I have several sheep here that agree but when I was at the auction the other day (and farm animals here are typically 2 times the price as the states).... and a pure bred jersey cow peaked at 900. (and she was preggers) and this fellow is pricing at 2500. for a mix bred that wears a halter.... dairy breeds are fairly docile to begin with, I haven't had a cow but wouldn't be concerned with a dairy cow....

Even my dear sweet wolly mamouth highland cow that come in the spring...... docile!

Buddy is looking for some quick easy cash...
I don't either. Just referencing a comment in that post. Its not going to give jersey milk and cream ;)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Ahem :old

My husband said this ad is a line of crap. :lol: coming from a man who's come to know several cows quite intimately :gig

He says you don't train a cow to raise their calves, that comes natural, and if you're leaving the calf with the cow you'll only milk her 1 x a day, because that's all she's going to have to give to YOU. The calf is taking the rest.

and he said if he's going to pay $2500 for a cow, she better be purebred, show quality, registered, and bred back to a bull of a higher quality than she is. :cool:

BTW, I had a sussex roo once who never crowed! I had all kinds of people begging me to sell him. I refused. He was my best roo ever! Till he died.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
No, only one is 1/3 Jersey, 1/3 Holstein, 1/3 Brown Swiss.....the other cow is 1/2 Jersey 1/2 Holstein. You're right that a mixed breed wouldn't command top dollar. I was just thinking that if we had the acreage & set up to have some cows I would seriously consider this ad. If we had that kind of money to spare, I'd consider it an investment. I don't know anything about Brown Swiss, but understand Holstein are good for lots of milk, Jersey for lots of cream. We do drink alot of milk & I'd be making lots of butter anyway and finally jump into making yogurt, cheese, etc and either sell any extra as animal feed or to actually use as animal feed. As a newbie, getting a trained &/or experienced cow for milking & birthing would be a great asset as in the cow has already done it all & proven itself that would help me to gain the much needed experience so that down the road I'd feel more confident to train any future calves. Actually it wouldn't be training per se, but getting familiar with the cow & the cow getting used to & familiar with us enough to let us touch it to milk it or be there during birthing.

But that's just me, I guess.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
No, only one is 1/3 Jersey, 1/3 Holstein, 1/3 Brown Swiss.....the other cow is 1/2 Jersey 1/2 Holstein. You're right that a mixed breed wouldn't command top dollar. I was just thinking that if we had the acreage & set up to have some cows I would seriously consider this ad. If we had that kind of money to spare, I'd consider it an investment. I don't know anything about Brown Swiss, but understand Holstein are good for lots of milk, Jersey for lots of cream. We do drink alot of milk & I'd be making lots of butter anyway and finally jump into making yogurt, cheese, etc and either sell any extra as animal feed or to actually use as animal feed. As a newbie, getting a trained &/or experienced cow for milking & birthing would be a great asset as in the cow has already done it all & proven itself that would help me to gain the much needed experience so that down the road I'd feel more confident to train any future calves. Actually it wouldn't be training per se, but getting familiar with the cow & the cow getting used to & familiar with us enough to let us touch it to milk it or be there during birthing.

But that's just me, I guess.
The ad almost sounds like he would be willing to mentor you as well...perhaps that should also be considered in the price. :hu

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Personally if he were local and I had the funds, I would do it. I have a little experience with cows, but to get one already trained to halter and hand milk? Pastured Jerseys here go for 15-1800, so for a "broke" cow, bred back, and some mentorship? Sign me up

(Swiss cows are also very gentle, if I am remembering correctly).

lorieMN

Power Conserver
Reaction score
for newbies that need the help and a friendly cow its cheaper then a broke kneecap and emergancy room after the "sale barn special" kicks the crap out of them..if the guy makes some money more power to him,,isnt that what we all try to do!!..I say if you come up with a good idea AND can make some money at the same time,,run with it!! that being said I wouldnt pay it,,its much easier and cheaper and less work for me to buy my goat milk from Merle..lol..I have been on the working end of a dairy before,and have no desire to go back.