family lukewarm to SS

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We don't live in a society where you have to live this way to survive anymore, so it really is more of a choice or hobby than a necessity, or a lifestyle
Maybe that is the reality with some of you, but I know that we would never have made it through at all if we had not learned SS skills and lifestyles here where I live. We all make choices and some of mine sort of dictated that we live a life with a low income....of course I could have went back to school for a higher paying profession but that takes time and money, none of which I had if I wanted to work to support my kids and still spend enough time with them to earn the title of mother.

So living frugally, growing our own foods, learning to make do or do without was a good alternative that presented me with an opportunity to still provide healthy foods while getting to actually be home with my kids enough to be an influence in their lives. Could we have survived without the SS lifestyle....probably, but we would have been living on welfare and in low income apartments~neither of which I wanted for my children. Survival comes in many colors.... emotional, spiritual, and physical.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
We don't live in a society where you have to live this way to survive anymore, so it really is more of a choice or hobby than a necessity, or a lifestyle
Maybe that is the reality with some of you, but I know that we would never have made it through at all if we had not learned SS skills and lifestyles here where I live. We all make choices and some of mine sort of dictated that we live a life with a low income....of course I could have went back to school for a higher paying profession but that takes time and money, none of which I had if I wanted to work to support my kids and still spend enough time with them to earn the title of mother.

So living frugally, growing our own foods, learning to make do or do without was a good alternative that presented me with an opportunity to still provide healthy foods while getting to actually be home with my kids enough to be an influence in their lives. Could we have survived without the SS lifestyle....probably, but we would have been living on welfare and in low income apartments~neither of which I wanted for my children. Survival comes in many colors.... emotional, spiritual, and physical.
Well put, Bee. I guess I could have stayed in Los Angeles with my children where we had good paying jobs but no farm. Instead of worrying about too much time spent caring for the animals, I'd have been worried about my kids becoming prey to gang violence or PART of a gang, or that they might become as materialistic and impulse-driven as many of our neighbors children. We discarded that lifestyle as unhealthy.....this isn't a hobby, it is a lifestyle. And I'm PROUD to say I've chosen this for my children. Do they sometimes think mom and dad are a little odd? Well of course, they are teenagers, and one is a young mom.

ctg492

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Gosh I think if a Teen who was not raised from the crib in SS family living, would participate in anything would be an accomplishment in it's self. My guys are 23 and 26, so I am not too long from those terrible teen years....that seemed to drag on forever:rolleyes: But I know unless it was forced because of income, they would not have changed their comfy lives to help me with my SS living change. Teens are Teens.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
My hobby is loom knitting. No, you don't have to help me loom knit. Gardening isn't just a hobby, it puts food on the table. If I tell you to pull weeds, pull the damn weeds.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I used to say the same thing about my boys being in football. My sister asked me once why I didn't attend all the practices and games and I told her I absolutely hated sitting on those hard old bleachers watching boys run the ball up the middle over and over and gaining two yards each time! :rolleyes:

I also told her that I don't force the boys to sit and quilt with me, I shouldn't have to be forced to sit and endure football every single practice and game.