Farm link?

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
While I'm not one to believe in destiny, some times something happens to make you wonder. Here I am, unable to find work, having both the will and interest to relocate to a more self sustaining method of living, and what happens. Yesterday morning while drinking my morning coffee, I was reviewing job websites and checking my emails. When suddenly Fox News did a brief report on Farm-link.

Seems like every other industry the boomers that own farms are also nearing retirement age. Sadly, either their children aren't interested or have no desire to take over the family farm. So this is leaving 1000's of older farmers not knowing what to do with their farms.

So in steps Farm-link. This matches farmers with people such as myself or other's that are interested together. The farmer owner then helps teach the budding new farmer how to manage and run his farm. Ideally, the prespective new farmer would have some money to offer the retiring farmer for his property. But some of the farmers realize that not all can do this and offer a work-to-own program.

I've tried researching this, but have been unsuccessful so far. Any links to "Farm-link" appear to be dead. Anyone else hear of this program???

Thanks,

Jax

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sadly I'm the other nearly broke blue state....Illinois. :( There's a simlar type program, but it's somewhat more complicated requiring going to classes nowhere's near where I'll be moving to.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Well, I'm living on a "farm" that I wouldn't have been able to afford if it were not for the fact that the previous owners wanted it to go to someone who would appreciate it.

Their only daughter is a city dweller and when the husband got sick they had to sell. They turned down every offer near their asking price. Ours was a crazy low offer but I attached a heart felt cover letter written by hand, describing how much we loved the place and how we would take such good care of it.

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Well, I'm living on a "farm" that I wouldn't have been able to afford if it were not for the fact that the previous owners wanted it to go to someone who would appreciate it.

Their only daughter is a city dweller and when the husband got sick they had to sell. They turned down every offer near their asking price. Ours was a crazy low offer but I attached a heart felt cover letter written by hand, describing how much we loved the place and how we would take such good care of it.
That's so awesome!

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
ooohhh... I'm so going to try this... our dream property is an abandoned farm that has been for sale for YEARS and YEARS.... but it's 116 acres of gorgeous land, in a great spot for tourists or farm visitors to drive by, with stunning views... maybe if I write a letter about what I would like to do with it they would be willing to work with me on financing it... they haven't lived there for more than a decade.

Here's the link for the New York Farm Link... it's the only one I found for Farm Link:

http://www.newyorkfarmlink.org/

Here's the midwest farm connection... it's not farm link, but same idea and they list Illinois as a location, but most are just farms for lease, rent or sale... or for interns to come work on farms in exchange for room and board.

http://www.midwestfarmconnection.org/

Here's a website with lots of linking programs listed... but I guess that depends on how far you are willing to move :)

http://www.cfra.org/renewrural/landlink

(edited because I can't spell )

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
This is a long post, but maybe it will help someone out...

We got lucky b/c it was what I would call an "emotional sale" not really a financial sale. They were elderly (the husband's health was failing) and really couldn't take care of it any more. It was very obvious that they spent all their time outside in the orchards, garden and forest. The house was "let go" imo, it needed a ton of cosmetic work. The landscape etc. however was in tip top shape.

When we presented our ridiculously low offer to our realtor, she said, "Well, they have already turned down that same offer within the last 30 days...." Not only did they not turn our offer down, they didn't even counter offer...which we expected and were willing to come up a bit if we had to.

The wife has since stopped by to teach me how to prune the trees and where to find the chanterelles etc. Her husband still can't bring himself to see the property. :( (We had to promise him we wouldn't cut down the trees in the forest. We are tree lovers too, so it wasn't a hard promise to keep.)

Once when we lost power during a snow storm, they invited us over to their brand new "city house" to take showers and eat dinner.

Their daughter stopped by too to show her fiance where she grew up. We felt comfortable enough with her to ask her why she thought her parents sold to us at such a low price. She simply said, "They knew you would take care of it."

I'd say it is definitely worth a try. :) Good luck to you!