Farm-Raised Fish Operation

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Check with your AG office. Years back, here in VA, there was a push for farm raised fish....VA & Eastern NC. Similar to chicken houses, where you raise for suppliers. "May" be an option...or NOT. A neighbor has a huge building set up for raising mice for pet stores. He was really going great guns but, health issues put him on hold for a while. At this time everything is there but the mice. LOL. I was AMAZED at how many were being sold.

There are home based businesses....most are not without some $$$ input, mostly set-up. But he's already based with some info, so it could work well. Let us know. I don't eat fish but, thousands do.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our area has several oyster "farms"...along the Chesapeake Bay.

A local friend has several "ponds" he dug when he purchased a low area of land. Now dry pastures and several ponds. Well, now those ponds have some HUGE catfish in them. I've seen them come to the surface when he throws feed to them. Gotta be 2' long. Nope, they don't eat fish! LOL

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Catfish are very good eating. People all across the South love fried catfish. There are catfish restuarants where fried catfish is served, with hush puppies and French fries.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I buy the canned coconut milk for convenience, although it's really easy (and cheaper!) to make your own. If the solids have separated in the can, just whizz it in the blender for a few seconds.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks. Can the extra be frozen? I can't imagine that I'll use it all up before it goes bad, unless you post some more recipes!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love shrimp. It's one of my favorite "go to" fast measl. I can have the pre-cooked shrimp thawed, cocktail sauce made, rice cooked and a salad on the table in about 1/2 hour or less.