FARMERCHICK! GOAT HELP PLEASE?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Or anyone who might know??

As I posted in Sufficient Family section, we had a new addition arrive this morning. Nan has had twins before, but only one this time so far.

How long can a goat go between kids? Hours? How long should we wait or what signs should we watch for?

This is our first experience with goats, we have bred and raised cattle before, but am assuming this might be different?

DH gently ran his hands along her belly, and he said it still feels tight, so he suspects that there may be another kid in there.

I am attaching pics, tell me does this look like a still pregnant doe?
328_100_2294.jpg

328_100_2298.jpg

Nugget was born around 7am to 8 am this morning, and I found them at 8:30ish this morning.

Any help, advice is appreciated...in the mean time, I am going to google goats giving birth while I wait for a reply!

Thanks!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Congrats! Cute baby.

I would guess you could tell by mom's behaviour - is she up and about? Or still looking "uncomfotable"? Perhaps you can feel for contractions going on by holding her belly?

Good luck - I have NO idea what I'm talking about. :D

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
LOL thanks Wildsky!

Well, from what I googled, if she was having twins she would or should have had the second one right away...but she's already up and about, eating, etc. Doesn't seem to have any discomfort at all.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Do you know about bouncing to check for kids? Where you sort of hug them as you stand behind and gently lift on the belly -iof a kid is still in there you might be able to feel it.
Is her afterbirth coming out? If so, don't pull on it. It should come out naturally- can take up to 24 hours or so.

Also you can go to Dairygoatinfo.com and look at their reference section. It's a really good one as is the Fias Co farms one.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
It's a really good one as is the Fias Co farms one.
I checked that site out, and it said in their experience, if 3 hours has passed, mom is done. She is also up and about eating and drinking business as usual. That site also said they can still look large even if they only have one kid.

She has a little bit of leaking, but more like a bit of afterbirth draining out, no contractions or straining. :)

Oh and to answer your other question, we watched her expel the afterbirth. I literally came upon her this morning just minutes after Nugget was born.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Sounds like she is done to me too. I have gone in to check for additional kids but you need to do that fairly fast before the cervix closes.
Now I'd just keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't develop a fever, smelly discharge or anything.
Congratulations on the newie.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Quail real simple to know if another baby is coming. Goats produce a bag of water right before birth.....kinda like a balloon sack that hangs from the back....that comes first, then the kid. If there is another kid, she will produce another water sack like the first.........if no second kid, then the after birth starts to come out, and that is a thick bloody bumpy string of goo...LOL

Most goats are 1 & 2 years old,,,,1 kid only, age 3-4 usually twins, and after 4 they can have trips, quads, quints, etc....just no telling then but that is the usual. after about 7-8 they go back to twins and usually singles only and it gets bad for moms to bred at about 8...alot of trouble with loopey babies then.

They kid fast usually. 1 follows the other pretty quicky.

Give us an update! I love kids! :) I just sold like 30 and miss the little guys but more does will be popping out babies in a few months and I will be loaded again!

enjoy the new addition

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Well, after she had Nugget, a watery type thing came out, and E and I both thought it was another water bag, but instead the after birth slid out. So I am assuming (especially since Nugget is like 10 hours old now) that she is done. :)

Nugget is absolutely adorable!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea the beginning of the afterbirth can kinda look like that but real fast you see the difference in the afterbirth and the water bag.

I thought the same when I first watched kids being born.....sometimes I still have to wait til I see more of the afterbirth to know that it isn't a water bag for a second kid.

I saw Nuggets pics and the goat is CUTE!!!!

glad all went well..