FarmerDenise's journal - full on harvest time = busy, busy, busy

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That's horrible! We've had a few roads washed out, and people still w/out power, but nothing like that!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Wow, I can't belive it has been a month since I posted. I guess I have been crazy busy. We are in full on harvest. Everything is rady to be picked and processed NOW!!! Ww have an amazig harvest season going too. the best ever. Even though somethings are lacking we have an over abundance of most.
I finally canned my 5th batch of tomato sauce. Now I feel I can "play" with the remainder of the tomato product. although we still have soooo many tomatoes, it would be easiest to keep making pureed tomatoes... The freezers are packed. The chckens are butchered, th sweet peppers are looing pretty in the filed, but need to be fozen. WE are harvesting the corn. I am making wine from the grapes and want to make acv from the apples. but I am overwhelmend.
I hope to take some time off this weekend, but I keep seeing all those pretty sweet peppers beconing me in the field. They need to be frozen....

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Your harvest sounds amazing. A couple weeks aback I had everything coming out my ears. Now things are slowing down a bit.

Sorry to hear about the situation with your mom. I am sure your visit will perk her up. Why does "family" always have to be so difficult?

So what do you plant to do with your corn? Are you canning it?

I am not to sure it was worth growing for me. It was a fun experiment though.

have a great night.

g

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Hey FD! :hugs on the family front. So glad to hear your harvest is doing well. I look forward to early winter when you have time to take a bit of a break and tell us all about it!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Ugh. Drama with relatives is the worse. Congrats on the harvest though :)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for all the support. Mom is beginning to visibly relax a little every day. Little grandson helps a lot with that ;)

TanksHill, we dry the corn, some of it is pop corn. We keep some for seed. I wanted to grind some to use for corn bread and such, but my blender doesn't do a good enough job. I plan on exrimenting with some of it. we have different kinds of corn: sweet, popcorn and grain/flour. It would be fun to try and make our own tortillas and corn chips. What ever doesn't get used for family food or saved for seed, gets fed to the chickens. They love homegrown corn. They don't care much for the store bought stuff. I spend winterevenings in front of the tv removing the kernels.

We got some pretty dense fog today. I hope to get some more food processing done today. Yesterday we went to the goodwill outlet store, where I scored some nice winter pajamas for myself, a few large towels (stepson and the girlfriend have been using ours and taking them into their room, not washing them and returning them, so we have started to run out of towels :/ ), more toys for the baby and curtains (ours are literally falling apart) and other stuff. I spent $20. There were numerous items that would have cost $20 all by itself, if I had bought them new. So I feel pretty good about it.
Oh, one of the things I got is a campfire toaster. So if we loose power, we can make toast in our brick fireplace/oven that we have in the porch.

First I will have to clean the kitchen though. the sink and counter are loaded with big pots, gallon jars and big platters. We were just oo tire last nigh to wash them :lol: