FarmerJamie - A new beginning

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have found that having enough clean clothes (underwear, socks etc.) for at least a month makes for fewer loads of laundry because I do a full load and can time it for the weather since I hang everything on the clothes line. Have for nearly 50 years. I did have a dryer when my son was a baby for when I could not get diapers done and dried fast enough... and sometimes used it for when I was working 2 jobs and needed the waitressing clothes to be done quickly and ready... but always hung clothes out when I possibly could. The dryer has been in the storage shed for the last 10-12 years.
I also have at least 5 pr jeans and a multitude of button down or snap shirts with 2 pockets for work.... being by myself makes less loads but full ones... and it is worth the time to hang and save all that electricity... and they SMELL SO GOOD when you bring them in.
I hung wash outside June - 19th'ish of Oct. , we had such a wet spring, May was very irritating :p SO wet
I do have 3 drying racks to use during wood stove season. Our claimant is so wet things take for ever to dry unless the stoves going.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Screenshot_20230104-091820_Facebook.jpg

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I use a dryer. I may put up a clothes line in the future but really not too concerned. If I find clothes line poles, I’ll put them up. Now y’all got me looking for some……
umbrella-clothesline-clips-yard-840x560-75.jpg

I have an umbrella type clothes line. I got it at True Value or HomeDepot? like 10 years ago

In the new yard I got a black piece of pvc pipe [ long enough and the right dynamiter] and pounded it into the ground to hold up the umbrella. It works fine. I get the sheets and towels on it just fine BUT I would love to have another just regular long line so I can hang out sleeping bags and big stuff.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I couldn't use a clothesline out in Wyoming, things came off the line dirtier than they were before I washed them, lol. I could use a clothesline here in Wisconsin, but the clothesline is located in the dog yard and my old dog loved to play with the hanging clothes.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Kids. They amaze you when they grow and overcome obstacles. Makes you feel good as a parent when they quietly demonstrate that they are listening to you.

We talked about canning this year. I was floored. Both girls want peas and carrots. They happily reminisced about me growing both in the garden when they were kids and how store bought doesn't compare.

This means a lot to me

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sometimes, as parents, were are given these deeply personal confirmations.....they learned, listened, appreciated and retained what we hoped but, didn't know they did. Peas & carrots, who knew.🥰. For me, DD was making bread last week. 🥰

Its always heartwarming and quietly emotional. A gift.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We talked about canning this year. I was floored. Both girls want peas and carrots. They happily reminisced about me growing both in the garden when they were kids and how store bought doesn't compare.

This means a lot to me

:) yes! :)

for me the simple stuff too, like opening packages of commercially grown and sorted beans and finding them containing some beans i'd never consider putting in a package let alone be willing to sell. rotted, stained, broken, dirty, or even smelling like mouse pee... :( :( :(