Farmers Cheese/Chevre'

mydakota

Power Conserver
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I made my first batch of chevre'. I added a bit of powdered sugar and a LOT of fresh blueberries. It was really yummy, and my kids gobbled it up on bagels. I have another batch dripping in the cooler as we speak. I thought the last batch was a bit creamier than I wanted it, so I am letting this batch drip a little longer. What are some of your favorite variations of this cheese? I have a friend who uses a couple of TBSP of herb dip mix in hers and it sounds wonderful. Also, what are your tips for getting the batch to come out consistently?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Whey releases better and flavor develops better at room temp, so get it out of the cooler.....

Oh, wait, is this a vinegar "cheese?" Maybe I'm wrong on that..... :p But if you are using cultures and rennet, I'm right! :D

My favorite is to beat it in my stand mixer with some honey and a dash of salt until smooth and a bit whipped, then layer it with raspberries or strawberries in small canning jars. Put it in the fridge for a quick snack or meal-in-a-hurry.

I like French onion, too. Stir in onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and a bit of parsley. It will be better after a few hours in the fridge, so when you taste it to adjust the seasonings, keep in mind that it will get a bit stronger as the dried flavorings re-hydrate. For a dipping consistency, add milk or cream until the desired texture.

mydakota

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It sat on the stove at room temp for the first 24 hrs, and then went into the cheesecloth and I hung it in the cooler. Do you mean it should be at room temp the second 24 hrs too? I am using rennet and cultured buttermilk as the cultures.

LOVE the idea about storing it in the canning jars, layered with berries!

mtnviewfarms

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I put finely chopped culinary herbs from my garden in mine.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
My husband's favorite is when I add basil and black pepper.

That fruit idea sounds yummy though, I have to try that.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
mydakota said:
It sat on the stove at room temp for the first 24 hrs, and then went into the cheesecloth and I hung it in the cooler. Do you mean it should be at room temp the second 24 hrs too? I am using rennet and cultured buttermilk as the cultures.

LOVE the idea about storing it in the canning jars, layered with berries!
Yes, it should hang at room temp. It releases the whey best at room temp, and develops more flavor. The cultures will protect it. Some cheeses stay at room temp for several days, the ones that will be aged, so a day and a half is not much, really.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I do my farmer's cheese with my goat's milk and vinegar, then when I separate the curds from the whey, add a little salt, then my herbs. So far I've tried:

-onion powder and dill (tastes like pickles)
-garlic powder and chives

Hadn't thought about whipping in some honey or making it more sweet than savory. Thanks for the ideas.

p.s. anyone else give the whey to the chickens to up their calcium intake?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
mtnviewfarms said:
I put finely chopped culinary herbs from my garden in mine.
Looks like you're new!
:frow Welcome!

I'm going to have to check on how to make this (again). I also hadn't thought about doing sweeter versions. All this sounds really good.

Can you use whey instead of buttermilk? Or can you use powdered buttermilk? I have a bag of frozen yogurt whey cubes in the freezer after reading that you can use it in place of buttermilk for breads, pancakes, biscuits, etc.

I have given my hens whey before, but they wouldn't touch it until I added some oatmeal to it.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Had about a gallon (probably more) of fresh goat milk, so I have it heating on the stove now. Going to add apple cider vinegar as soon as it's proper temp, then strain curds from whey. Whey will go to chickens tomorrow. Will add a tad bit of salt and lots of honey and possibly some dried fruit, then put most in freezer baggies (for this winter) and some in a small jar for eating this week.

Thanks for the ideas. If I remember, I'll take a picture.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Lemme know how that goes with the dried fruit, that sounds interesting!

Latest posts