Farmers Cheese/Chevre'

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The whitish whey means that there are still some milk solids left. The clearer the whey, the less solids.

The whey from a quart of milk, after making cheese, will yield.....maybe......a teaspoon of ricotta if you are really lucky!

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
freemotion said:
The whitish whey means that there are still some milk solids left. The clearer the whey, the less solids.

The whey from a quart of milk, after making cheese, will yield.....maybe......a teaspoon of ricotta if you are really lucky!
I found that out last weekend!!!! 2 gallons of whey made maybe a half cup of ricotta and took quite a while to "heat slowly"! I did not know at that time that it would help to have some white in the whey. Live and learn, huh!!!!!!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Well, it was a big NOPE on the riccotta- :lol: Not enough of anything left from the cheese. It tastes good, I will take it to work this weekend as an afternoon treat. I can see that it was a successful experiment, but unless/until I have a milk animal just not terribly practical. It would be a great way to use up excess milk so it doesn't spoil, but not really worth buying good milk for. I'd rather have yogurt or just drink it!

Latest posts