Farmers Cheese

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Woo hoo! Houston, we have cheese!

My first attempt at farmers cheese and it is looking like a huge success. I had a 1/2 gallon that was a bit "off", still perfectly fine but I have a very sensitive nose (thanks, mom, for making me drink that warm yucky milk on a camping trip! :sick ). So cheese it is.

Any tips for using the whey? I know I won't drink it (get the heaves just thinking about that!), but I hate to throw it away. Can I use it for making biscuits?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If you mean vinegar cheese, the whey can be used for baking things that call for baking powder. Acidic liquids make the baking powder really active. But vinegar whey is not a live whey, especially if white vinegar is used (it is a distilled grain vinegar and is harsh and is antibacterial) so can't be used for some of the other whey uses you may have read about here on ss. Like kick-starting fermented veggies and condiments, or feeding it to the critters. But if you used a live vinegar, it would be good for the animals or for soaking grains/beans for your use.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for explaining that! Yes, I used white vinegar, so I guess I'll try some biscuits or popovers with it and see what happens.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
freemotion said:
But vinegar whey is not a live whey, especially if white vinegar is used (it is a distilled grain vinegar and is harsh and is antibacterial) so can't be used for some of the other whey uses you may have read about here on ss. Like kick-starting fermented veggies and condiments, or feeding it to the critters. But if you used a live vinegar, it would be good for the animals or for soaking grains/beans for your use.
Ah hah!!!!

That explains it. *laughs*