Farming Stinks! and costs money!

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
my dad once told my son he wished his dad would have hit him up side the head with a hammer when he said he wanted to be a farmer. Its tough, never a profit but as an adult Im glad I grew up on that farm with the freedom and the responsibility. One of the things my dad does with machinery is to go to auctions, he gets alot of his equipment from the large farm auctions. Where everybody brings their stuff to sell. He fixes them up and paints them. The farmers are good in this area and often lend equipment to each other if something happens. About 2 years ago a man was seriously injured when his tractor rolled on him, a couple of the neighbors took care of the rest of the work to be done. Its not an easy life but it was a great way for a kid to grow up. I only live 3 miles from there now.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Karen, The simple solution will be for you to make soap for the next 36 to 48 hours non stop and sell it all. We all know you never stop anyway. :love

That was my febble attempt at humor. (And Dac, I misspelled feeble so you can correct me). Ummm just one more feeble attemt.

Karen, really hate to hear about the trailer. Seems like all us SS folks are getting hit with one thing after another. Maybe its just a way to make us toughen up for whats ahead.

Maybe to save the horse trailer it would just be easier to spend the money if you happen to have it. No sense in ruining the horse trailer and then having to spend the money anyway. Then you have a new cattle trailer and a messed up horse trailer. That does not sound like a "Happy" thing for you.

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sorry for all the troubles for your farm. Not a good thing to happen right before Christmas either. Hope you find a good used one if the old can't be repaired.

And yes, anything to do with a farm is expensive. It's hard to get one going. I think being SS costs money. Maybe as times goes, we'll see it costing less. A livestock trailer is on our dream list. We are fortunate that for the first 1 1/2 years we bartered for one. We traded work or meat for that one. My brother has one we can use anytime, too. We just have to travel 45 min. to get it. Our BILs father lives down the road and he lends us his whenever we need it. Barrowing does force us to come home and clean it immediately. - which is a good thing as DH is a big time procrastinator.
But, we would love one of very own one day.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I don't know FC. Is it really such an expense?

You will use it (alot sounds like) so it would be justified.

It makes chores easier and you won't have to use the horse trailer.

Will you have to go without something else that would be higher on your priority list?

Do you have the money to pay for it?

I'm just throwing questions out that we use when we have to purchase something big.

Please don't be mad at me for my two cents :hide

It's one of those things that you have to list the pros and cons of.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Always something isn't it? We got a stock trailer a few yrs ago that needs a floor put in it still at an extreme bargin($500). But since Don won't do the floor it is not usable & has just been sitting here for 4 yrs now. Why he won't fix it I have no clue. I would look at used ones first & then buy a new one if not available. Good luck.

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
just wanted to add since I was thinking, I dont know how big your farm is but when we needed something big on the farm its purchase usually coincided with a sale, of corn, grain, hogs, an old tractor. Once he bartered for a piece of machinery with the guy who sells it in exchange he would deliver for the guy since my dad had a tractor trailer. Hope you find a way to work it out, like I said before we rarely bought new. We always took hogs in the back of the pickup truck, made high sides for it. Quite a few people here do that, I think when he took the whole lot to auction someone picked them up.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks everyone for the "misery loves company"
LOL-LOL

I know I am just ticked cause when I dig out of a debt from the farm, it seems, HERE comes another. It just gets super old....but I know it is "what it is!"

Things just never are easy. It would be nice if it were just easy one stinkin' year without some major expense...LOL...wishful thinking.

Just feeling sorry for myself cause Tony's truck is going to need work (how much who knows)---now I have to deal with possibly buying a new trailer (well used first I will check of course)

Funny thing is I am the farm everyone comes to when they need to borrow things...LOL

Tony is fiercely independent, like most farmers, and doesn't borrow much. Borrowing equipment that other farmers rely on makes him worried in case anything should happen to it.....when we lend out our backhoe and front end loader and such, he is the driver..LOL..people can get alot of help from him, but he ain't handing over expensive equipment..LOL

Just a "feel sorry" for myself post. The almighty dollar gets very tiring.....

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey Dacs
I WAS lauging when I read your post and yup, it was funny cause I heard things like this from many people...HA HA....how animals stink, when I like the smell, the prices of fresh vs. store bought..HA HA

I just realized a farmer and a used car salesman probably are always questioned about their prices..LOL