Fast fruits...

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Berries! I do tons of berries and delish! (opps, the blackberries and more will take time but the strawberries will produce fast)

cantaloupe, watermelons, other vine fruits

and don't forget, tomatoes are a fruit :lol: :lol:

tree fruits take a while to produce obviously. so plant a small orchard and wait. we now have about 8 peach trees producing and they are wonderful. but it took time to get the apples going here.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Get good starts and Blackberries will to :D

Strawberries are the best for fast production by far. :D Then like FC, said the vine fruits.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
no one can go wrong with a million strawberry plants :lol:
of course if allergic :p

us, we eat the hound out of strawberries!

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree that strawberries are my first choice for fast fruit. But be careful when you buy them. You can buy a bundle of 25 bare root early in the season for around $10, if I remember correctly. Or you can buy them individually growing in a 4" pot for nearly $4 each! Or maybe find a friend who needs their strawberry patch cleaned up and get them for free.

barefootfarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think we will try berries! We have strawberries but doesn't it take a year or so before you start getting a decent harvest? We are going to try a blackberry bush.

Niele da Kine

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Sometimes I'll plant something quick in the same area while waiting for the slower fruit to produce. Lima beans and grape vines come to mind. Or passion fruit and grapes. Lima beans will die off in about two years (if you don't have killing winters) so the beans produce the first year while the grape vines will start producing after the beans are gone. If you have a shorter growing season you could try runner or pole beans while waiting for the vines to start to produce. I like to plant papaya while waiting for the apples, peaches, avocadoes, etc., to start producing. Papayas only last about four years and it takes about that long for many fruit trees to get going. Bananas are pretty quick, although I don't know if you are in an area where they will grow.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
barefootfarmer said:
I think we will try berries! We have strawberries but doesn't it take a year or so before you start getting a decent harvest? We are going to try a blackberry bush.
Strawberries depend on when the cuttings were taken, you can get a decent yield the 1st year but the second year is always better Blackberries produce a non fruit bearing cane which then bears fruit the second year. When farmed these canes are cut off once they bear so the new Fruit bearing NEXT year canes grow better. In theory you could move a plant with the fruiting cane intqct but it can be a real hassle in practice.

barefootfarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
~gd said:
barefootfarmer said:
Strawberries depend on when the cuttings were taken, you can get a decent yield the 1st year but the second year is always better Blackberries produce a non fruit bearing cane which then bears fruit the second year. When farmed these canes are cut off once they bear so the new Fruit bearing NEXT year canes grow better. In theory you could move a plant with the fruiting cane intqct but it can be a real hassle in practice.
Good info! Thanks.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You might want to check out Baker Creek, Ground Cherries. Small sweet berries that grow in a paper husk. Yummy and grow like weeds.

g