Fast Money ... Advice Needed

R-Lawrence

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Okay, don't let the title of this thread mislead you. I know there's no real way to make fast money, under the table, by doing virtually nothing, but here's what I'm going through.

My Teen has seizures, has OCD and multiple developmental disabilities, and will probably always need to live with me. My Husband of 3 years is practically worthless, doesn't much care about spending quality time with Teen, and acts like a child, fighting over the remote control or "who gets to push the garage door opener". I didn't sign on to be the parent of yet another child, and my real one needs me. Plus he's really too hard on the Teen, believing that the OCD things like touching light switches is just a phase that Teen can stop.

We're going to therapy but if it doesn't work, I'm leaving. But I have no money and will lose health insurance. I can't work because I have my own health issues, and am on disability. It's not enough to pay for an apartment, much less a house that allows chickens and goats, or medical bills, utilities, etc.

I need to find a way to make money, under the table, so I won't lose my disability. I write but selling on e-bay or amazon means I'll get a 1099 at the end of the year. Not under the table. I sell eggs but at $3.50 a dozen, it's not enough. Same with selling chicks. I have 2 pregnant goats but that will only get me about $200 a kid, twice a year. I'm going through stuff to have a garage sale but there's no way I'll earn enough to buy a house, and certainly won't be able to keep that money a secret from Hubby.

So ... ideas?

Thanks.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
R-Lawrence said:
Okay, don't let the title of this thread mislead you. I know there's no real way to make fast money, under the table, by doing virtually nothing, but here's what I'm going through.

My Teen has seizures, has OCD and multiple developmental disabilities, and will probably always need to live with me. My Husband of 3 years is practically worthless, doesn't much care about spending quality time with Teen, and acts like a child, fighting over the remote control or "who gets to push the garage door opener". I didn't sign on to be the parent of yet another child, and my real one needs me. Plus he's really too hard on the Teen, believing that the OCD things like touching light switches is just a phase that Teen can stop.

We're going to therapy but if it doesn't work, I'm leaving. But I have no money and will lose health insurance. I can't work because I have my own health issues, and am on disability. It's not enough to pay for an apartment, much less a house that allows chickens and goats, or medical bills, utilities, etc.

I need to find a way to make money, under the table, so I won't lose my disability. I write but selling on e-bay or amazon means I'll get a 1099 at the end of the year. Not under the table. I sell eggs but at $3.50 a dozen, it's not enough. Same with selling chicks. I have 2 pregnant goats but that will only get me about $200 a kid, twice a year. I'm going through stuff to have a garage sale but there's no way I'll earn enough to buy a house, and certainly won't be able to keep that money a secret from Hubby.

So ... ideas?

Thanks.
What state do you live in?

R-Lawrence

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Colorado.

Gonna need to move closer to Denver. That's where my Teen's therapies are.

Might be willing to relocate. Once I lose Hubby's insurance, might need to find all new doctors and therapy groups anyway.

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through such a hard time!

Have you looked into a job where you take orders from people purchasing items in magazines over the phone? or into medical transcription? (be careful there, you can run into a lot of training scams) These are both work from home type jobs.

Or getting furniture or other items for cheap or free on craigslist, garage/estate sales, or any other places, then refinishing/repairing and reselling.

Unfortunately I can't think of much for under the table cash. I wish you the best, and kudo's for doing the right thing for you and your child.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
What skill sets do you have? Anything specialized?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If you're on disability, and you're kid has health problems, is there any kind of state assistance you qualify for to help you get out? I'd look into that first, find a good social worker (or whoever handles that kind of thing), and explain the situation to them. They may be able to help you.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Have you looked into federal Social SEcurity disability benefits for both yourself and the teen? You may not have worked enough for the benefits but I'll bet your husband has. As I understand it the benefits go to the disabled and can continue for life if he remains disabled.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You can LEAVE someone and not divorce. Just saying :D

As for disability payments, they are so low it is pathetic. My son is low functioning autistic and gets around $400/month. He only got that once he turned 18.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm thinking, thinking. And I had to delete everything I just wrote as I read that you're on disability, so you absolutely can't work or you lose that.

Even if you have to move to the city, you can still do some SS stuff within your own home to save money. But I know that sometimes that's not enough, sometimes you just need more income. I know your dreams are shattered, but don't feel the least bit guilty about making tough decisions that are better in the long run for you and your teen.

You get a 1099 from Ebay??? Are you sure? They'd have to send out a gazillion every year. I have a friend who's sis hits the garage sales, then sells on Ebay, she makes around $400 a month doing that, but even that comes with it's own set of challenges.

Some people advertise that they'll come pick up about everything that doesn't sell at your garage sale and haul it off for you. Then they sort thru it and have their own garage sale, put it on ebay or craigslist. Storage, etc might be a problem for you.

:( Computer work (for cash only) at home would probably be the best. Still thinking.....

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Day care for other disabled teens. Boy do I know how hard it is to find someone who can watch a 21 year old who functions like a 3 year old!!!