fat clarified for making candles? how long & where do you store it?

Laureli

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Will it go rancid? It has been so long since I clarified the fat for making candles. That is as far as I have gotten and while I don't have much, it is being stored in the fridge and freezer. Some of it is clarified, some not and it is taking up space because I don't know where to go from here. :rolleyes:

So my questions are:
1. how do I store the candles? (made for times without electricity)
2. if I clarified (and I am not certain I am using the right term...I boiled the fat down with water until it was a milky white color when hardened) the fat, how long will it store until I get aroundtoit... i.e. making a candle or soap?

3. Can I use the same clarified fat for making a simple soap?

4. anyone have a simple soap recipe I could try so I can say, "I did it and I know how in case or whenever.

:D
Thank you in advance....:cool:

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A lot depends on the source of your fat just about any fat can be clarified by your method. For my reply I am going to assume that your 'fat' is a solid at room temp.

1 fats will go rancid with excessive exposure to oxygen in the air so I would keep them well wrapped to keep oxygen out. In the old days they were often stored in well made wooden boxes lined with a thin layer of beeswax, tar or pine pitch. Cooler is better but as long as they don't melt you should be ok.

2. Can't predict but I have a small tin [like shoepolish] of tallow that is better than 80 years old according to the hand written label

3. Yes the shaving soap I use is made from Tallow and it makes great foam.

4. Can;t help I don't make soap. I think a soap maker is going to need to lnow the source of the fat to yrll you how much lye to use.

I hope this was of some help. ~gd

dirtyfeetmaggoo

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have used the beef tallow and I keep it in a jar in my fridge and its fine as long as it is nice and white with no smells. I use mine for soap, so far I have only made one batch and it turned out good. I used a recipe off of the internet that goes by weight. before you make soap though I would suggest watching some youtube videos on soapmaking with lye since there are some precautions that you need to take with it like not inhaling it (I mixed mine outside) here is where I found the recipe. http://thecheerfulagrarian.blogspot.com/2012/02/small-batch-soap-making.html