favorit cheap dinner

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
kcsunshine said:
kimnkell said:
One of my favorites is pinto beans w/ bacon or some type of meat to flavor them( I usually cook them overnight in the crock pot or pressure cook them) fried potatoes, and cornbread and macaroni and tomato. Yumm..
Oh boy - where do you live and when are you having it next? Sometimes I cut up summer sausage in mine for flavoring.
Ummm, it's good with summer sausage in it too...Well, all of this talk about it I am fixing it tomorrow.lol.... Putting some beans in to soak right now.... oh, I live in Kentucky btw...:):)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Cuban style black bean soup. A bag of dry black beans is like $.69 and I can make it into probably 9 meals. Add chopped onion, bell peppers and spices, there ya go!
:p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Chicken and eggs and pork and beef

all done on the farm so I guess that is my cheapest and most delish meal starters.

I can pair up those meats with anything and viola, cheap easy and fast.

(I don't cook alot of "meals")

taters, biscuit, bread, cornbread, pasta, rice, veggies, all as side dishes to the meats. I do super easy stuff...LOL

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I forgot my favoritest of all: Being invited to friends and families for meals they have paid for and cooked!! Mmm.. The very best of all.

Another super fast, super cheap meal we did a lot this summer was fried or scrambled eggs (from the farm) with toast (discount store prices), homemade butter and anything growing in the woods or garden at that time of summer. Oh, boy, those were great meals!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dinner this evening was leftover mashed potatoes spiced up with some chopped green onions, some crisp bacon bits, pepper and herbs. All this spread into a baking dish, depressions made in the potatoes for as many eggs as needed, and then an egg broken into each one. Some more bacon bits over the top, then breadcrumbs and some paprika. I sprayed the whole thing with some olive oil, but dotting with butter would do as well. Into a 350* oven for 20-25 minutes - the trick is to get the eggs done to the way you like them; I like the whites set, and the yolks runny, so 25 min. was about right. A variation that I seldom think of until the eggs are already broken is to put a spoonful of green peas in each depression first.

Add a vegetable and/or a salad and that is a nice, filling, cheap dinner.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Awesome, ORchick!! I made a HUGE pot of mashed taters today to use up sprouting and greening potatoes in storage, and I was imaging something similar to this for breakfast one day this week with the leftovers. Thanks for the perfect directions. :)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
me&thegals :lol:, there is nothing like an Irish cookbook from the fifties to give one an idea of what to do with potatoes!

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
kimnkell said:
kcsunshine said:
kimnkell said:
One of my favorites is pinto beans w/ bacon or some type of meat to flavor them( I usually cook them overnight in the crock pot or pressure cook them) fried potatoes, and cornbread and macaroni and tomato. Yumm..
Oh boy - where do you live and when are you having it next? Sometimes I cut up summer sausage in mine for flavoring.
Ummm, it's good with summer sausage in it too...Well, all of this talk about it I am fixing it tomorrow.lol.... Putting some beans in to soak right now.... oh, I live in Kentucky btw...:):)
We're neighbors! WV here,...oh you know what else would be great with that dinner????? Some mixed greens or some saurkraut with some smoked sausage,....:drool

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Up-the-Creek said:
kimnkell said:
kcsunshine said:
We're neighbors! WV here,...oh you know what else would be great with that dinner????? Some mixed greens or some saurkraut with some smoked sausage,....:drool
Well, we are neighbors. You might have to come over and eat sometime. :) Yes, greens are really good with this supper. We sometimes have greens with this supper and sometimes I make macaroni and cheese instead of macaroni and tomato. Depends if I have alot of cheese on hand or not. Oh, and Hubby loves sauer kraut too.. I just canned about 6 quarts that will be ready to eat in about a week or two.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One of our favorite quick meals....
Canned chicken...that I canned...put it in a bakeing pan, with the broth...add some peas, carrotts, and diced potatos...sprinkle with cornstarch to thicken, and cover with home made biscuit dough. Bake at 350, for about 15,20 minutes, untill biscuits are brown. Viola...chicken potpie!
Another is just good old stew in the crockpot, with a loaf of fresh made bread.( thats for dinner tonight!) Guess I am a one-pan-meal type...dureing the winter. LOL

Latest posts