Favorite Books about Homesteading??

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Junebugaboo - Maybe not in your homesteading category in particular, but we've very much enjoyed reading the stories of Richard Proenneke in "One Man's Widlerness" about a gentleman who moved to the wilderness of Alaska and settled his own cabin years back. I also highly recommend Monte Burch's "The Ultimate Guide to Skinning and Tanning" if you're looking to pick up a new skill. It may seem gross getting into it for some, but it is extremely rewarding to take, say, a recently culled rabbit flock and tan their hides, then make a cozy pair of mittens or even a blanket with them. We've also gotten "Country Wisdom and Know-How" and it has a ton of great info in it on a variety of subjects. Oh, and not sure if it was mentioned, but "The Backyard Homestead" was great too!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
American Gothic history: http://totallyhistory.com/american-gothic/
I used to have a client who grew up in Iowa and his dad and Grant Wood were good friends. In the picture, it's supposed to be a farmer and his spinster daughter. Actually, the "farmer" was Grant Woods' dentist, and the "daughter" was Grant Woods' sister.
Grant Woods also made furniture, and the family had a chair built by him. And he had painted a picture of my client's mother that is now in a museum.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My grandfather married a full blooded cherokee Indian. My dad looks a lot like an american Indian. I never met my granddad because he died before I was born, but I have very fond memories of my grandma. My dad passed on a few native american Indian things to me, mainly food growing, foraging, hunting, fishing and survival in the wilderness. All of which I can do some what well although I'm not very proficient at any of them because like anything you need to put it into practice to become good at it.

I really wished I would have had the chance to learn from my grandma before she passed. She was a very wise woman. I learn best by doing, book learning is OK but it's not like just doing something.

A very wise man once told me, you want to learn how to build a house? Then build a house. I've learned I can substitute house for most anything else in life and it applies.

einstein said: "The only source of knowledge is experience". But I've found that experience is a really strange thing... you get it right after you needed it.

IDK where I was going with all this... Sorry for rambling nonsense.

Last edited:

Latest posts