Favorite Homemade Cookies

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have a serious problem with cookies. I love making and decorating sugar cookies, but also love eating them WAY too much. I have limited my cookie hobby to gingerbread houses because I'm never tempted to eat them. It's a little sad but works for me.

I sometimes get Walkers shortbread cookies because I'm lazy.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a serious problem with cookies. I love making and decorating sugar cookies, but also love eating them WAY too much. I have limited my cookie hobby to gingerbread houses because I'm never tempted to eat them. It's a little sad but works for me.

I sometimes get Walkers shortbread cookies because I'm lazy.
I love those!!

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I really think about any basic cake recipe I normally use can be altered to become cookies just by increasing the butter and decrease the milk or water. Not sure if I exactly have a favorite because really cookies make me think about crushing them to make whiskey balls.
Thank you! I’ve had people tell me to use a cake recipe but it never made sense, didn’t know to add butter and decrease liquid. You learn something everyday.

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I remember making those as a child; haven't thought about them for years. Thanks @Hinotori for the reminder! Now I have to figure out how to make something similar without the wheat flour
Gluten free sista over here. I just use a 1to1 blend or rice and almond flour mix. 2-1 if I remember. The way I bake is I think about what the original should be at a molecular lever and figure out how to match that with safe ingredients. I watched some Alton Brown lol. Like pizza has the gluten very activated (gluten is a stringy protein) mozzarella has a similar stringy protein texture. I add melted mozzarella to my dough and it works. To me it’s about replacing what should be there.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I used to make something we called Stained Glass cookies: A refrigerator dough filled with candied fruit. Chilled, then sliced thinly enough so the pieces of fruit looked like stained glass pieces framed by the dough. Very pretty, and tasty. Don't make them these days as the candied fruit is too much for my diabetes
My mom made these. She made rosettes, treasure chest bars (cherries, chocolate chips, nuts), chocolate covered cherries, sugar cookies, pecan tartlets and more! We had cookies for ages.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chocolate crinkles are my youngest brothers favorite. Middle brother likes those too, but I think he just likes all cookies.

Most of everyone's favorites here are from the Betty Crocker Cooky Book. Not the reprint. Reprint recipes are different.

Mom modified the sugar cookie one a bit but just the one there is good.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Honestly I am partial to old school types of cookies though so I lean more to a cookie that has brown sugar rather than white and I like oatmeal but it’s not a must. I think the best one I ever had was with dates and nuts. It of course had brown sugar and vanilla extract with flour and baking soda and a few eggs. It was a borrowed recipe I got from one of my patients who had gone to her daughters house to bake for an outing. My patient had once run her own catering business and she loved my daughter (who worked with me at the time) and me so she would spoil us. I could probably recreate it just by shooting from the hip.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the stained glass windows we make are the various colored mini marshmallows and then you take melted dark chocolate and add a little butter and then get it to where it just starts to set and mix it with the marshmallows and roll it into a log and put it in the fridge to harden up. then slice and serve.

almost all the cookies we make we use white sugar but add molasses for color and more flavor. soft molasses cookies with seedless raspberry jam in the middle are among my favorites (grape jam is ok too) but since i am such a mooch for cookie dough molasses cookie dough is such a flavor and texture bomb for me that i'm normally around seeking to do some quality control there too. Mom made a few batches of them last night and i avoided eating any of them or any dough so i saved myself some calories, but i sure wanted to be right in there. :)

she has her system all set up to where she can bake a day and turn out hundreds of cookies. when she's finally done i help cleanup and get the mixer cleaned out. it is better during the day if i stay away as if we talk too much she might not remember where she's at in a recipe or in baking. i'm the same way. :) if a recipe is easy it's ok, but after a few ingredients or trying to count out cups of flour or ... well, oops...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
These are fast and easy. My favorite way to cook!

62914C33-304C-4094-A4B3-D3C906FB5A47.jpeg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
These are fast and easy. My favorite way to cook!

View attachment 17548

very similar to what we call Hip Builders or Magic bars. except the top is walnuts, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, coconut and then pour over the EBSCM.

if you ever want an excellent macaroon you can use all those ingredients in your stiff sweetened egg whites and they turn out like bite sized magic bars.

i don't want a lot of chocolate chips to overpower the other flavors so i go light with those. butterscotch chips i'm ok with more of those. any kind of nut is always good to me. :)