Favorite Old Cookbooks?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Years ago, I had a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook - you know, the one with the red and white checked cover? Then I bought a replacement about 30 years later. It was interesting seeing the differences in the recipes over the years. They had drunk the Kool-Aid about Demon Fat and Demon Salt, and everything had been slimmed down. Unfortunately, whatever they say, the flavor had been slimmed down as well.

I remember reading about a study where someone had figured out the average calories eaten in the mid-1800's by midwestern farmers-- it was something like 4000 calories a day! And then you look at the painting "American Gothic" and you just gotta shake your head at how much work they must have been doing, to eat that much and still be that skinny.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't think I could eat bear - not sure why - just doesn't seem like something I'd be interested in. Somehow eating a predator animal doesn't really appeal to me - even though bears are technically omnivores - same as a pig....

Bear is greasy. Cook it well done since wild meat.

Mom thinks we had lion one time from my great uncles trip to a game farm. It was tough even used in a stew like mom always did with unknown meats.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Some of the best cookie recipes.

The sugar cookies are the best.

20171201_114529.jpg

Devonviolet

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Some of the best cookie recipes.

The sugar cookies are the best.

View attachment 5440
Look at the price in the upper right corner. $2.95! Don't ya just love it???

That brings back memories of baking cookies and taking them around, in dress boxes, to sell to the neighbors, for $$$ to buy Christmas gifts for the family. We didn't have a lot of money those days, and that cookie money was a big deal.

Those white dress boxes weren't very strong. So, my box collapsed spilling yummy butterball cookies all over the ground. I had to go home for a new box & more cookies. I was NOT a happy girl!!! :hit

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I remember reading about a study where someone had figured out the average calories eaten in the mid-1800's by midwestern farmers-- it was something like 4000 calories a day! And then you look at the painting "American Gothic" and you just gotta shake your head at how much work they must have been doing, to eat that much and still be that skinny.

those 4000 calories weren't corn syrup, added sugars, preservatives, and the plethora of additives in "modern" foods.

@Mini Horses after the initial 30 days, yes those foods can be added back in our diet, in moderation. My garden is going to be much the same but I am adding Brussel sprouts and artichokes, several other things that I can't remember at the moment.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love reading on food history. The thing with cane sugar is that when it was introduced to Europe there was a bunch of health issues that started showing up in the rich who could afford it. It was concidered common knowledge at that point in time until the 1900s that too much sugar caused health problems. That's why treats and desserts were only special occasion items.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Too bad we forgot that along the way. Or stopped caring?