favorite way of getting wine stains out of tablecloth?

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I got a beautiful linen tablecloth in a box of linens at a farm auction - it was starched and ironed and gorgeous. Used it at xmas dinner yesterday and....yup, red wine stains.

Now what? Any ideas?

Diavolicchio

Contemplation Leave
Reaction score
OxyClean.

Billy Mays, R.I.P.

Alternatively:

Step 1
On a new, wet stain, sprinkle coarse salt to absorb liquid from the fabric. Then blot with cold water or rinse under cold water to remove excess sugars and prevent oxidation.

Step 2
For an older, dry stain, rub a bit of liquid laundry detergent into the stained area. Launder in the hottest water safe for the fabric with laundry detergent and color-safe bleach.

Step 3
Repeat as needed until the stain is gone.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Do not let the stain dry comptetely, once that happens it is prety much set. You can try club soda, or white vinegar, in a blotting method to remove--do not rub., If it is a fresh stain pour salt on it to absorb the wine into the salt. Shaving cream can work, but it can also ruin your fabric, so I would avoid it. If none of these work, you can try the oxyclean. Just bear in mind to read the instructions on the commercial cleaner. some of the home remedies you have tried, in conjunction with the store bought remedy, might set the stain permanently.

Goodluck!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
When all else fails I lean on my trusty bar of fels naptha.

Rub it on the spots, wash, repeat as necessary, just do not dry it until the spots are out.

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
no bleach in the house...but I forgot I had oxyclean. Am soaking it now in that, and am keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for the help!

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ok, found the oxyclean stuff in the back of the utility closet, put the table cloth into the big soup kettle with the appropriate brew, and presto! no wine stains! I forget the oxyclean is there.
thanks everyone!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Welcome to Sufficient Self Lalaland! :frow

Your name tickles me. We called my sis Lala for years and when she first bought her 30+ acre place I sneakily made a big sign and fastened it to a remote gate that was visible from the road. It read ..."Welcome to Lala's Land!" They always enter the property from the opposite direction so the sign was up to embarrass my sister almost a MONTH before she spotted it! :lol: :lol:

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I actually do have a sign "la la land" but it is a ways up the driveway and not visible from the dirt road out front. When I moved here a couple of years ago, and had this small house built, everyone knew all the details of the house....I have a big galvanized horse trough for a bathtub as I like to soak, and the plain soaking tubs were $6,000 and a horse trough about $100. I still meet people in town who say, "oh, you're the one with the cow tank for a tub".

So I don't need the la la land sign out front to add to the impression I've created!