FDA siezes birthing pools/pregnancy is an illness

Tractor girl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Actually, childbirth does hurt. It hurts a lot. If it didn't hurt so much for you, that is wonderful, and maybe your daughter will have your same response, but only time will tell.
This is my area of expertise, and I have been present for many labors, over many years, and deliveries, as well as brief snippets of others, based on where need was at the time.
I work with women who went totally without any pain medication for three, four or more births, and most now say they were crazy to go without pain relief. Women who had their first two or three without anything, go with an epidural for the last one and say that they made a huge mistake the previous times. Other women really want to go totally without, and that is fine, too. It's just very difficult to say, from the outside, whose baby is a little large for the pelvic outlet, or which baby has their head tilted a little to the side, or back---making for a larger presenting diameter and more difficult descent, etc. When someone asks me if they should have an epidural, I just tell them that it is totally their choice, but to remember that there are no medals given for pain endured during labor. Everyone needs to decide for themselves, how they want to approach this event.
I'm sorry that anyone treats pregnancy as an illness. It isn't. I think that the idea that it needed to be counted as such for insurance or time-off work purposes is probably right.
Totally weird that the FDA wants to do anything with birthing pools. I would think they have their hands full without taking on such nonsense.
As for the breastfeeding issue, breast is best. If you can't breastfeed, then formula is a good option. The formula companies do what they can to make their products as close as possible to breast milk, but it is not the same. So much of the time I am faced with attempting to support breastfeeding with couples who have little-to-no, or totally wrong information regarding nursing a baby. It is so disheartening to hear family members say "there isn't anything in there" or "how can we be sure that anything is coming out?" etc. when a young woman is first attempting to nurse her baby. It really does seem to affect how a new mother approaches caring for her baby, and her feelings of competency and self-worth. I wish people would just listen to what educators have to say, and make an attempt to be supportive instead of trying to be know-it-alls.
:::rant over::::

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL I agree--no ones pain levels will ever be the same as with the presenting of the birth and pain that go together will ever be the same!

to the OP
but is there any FDA response or literature or anything reguarding this situation that I can read cause I checked the site etc. and not finding any FDA actual wordings.

and that 'preg as an illness' could easily be as Lady described...wording under work situations and medical coverage etc.

but wanting to see more info to draw a conclusion.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Child birth feels much less painful than having a horse fall on you. Hurts a lot less that being drug through barbed wire. Hurts less than a bad gall bladder (which D2 had removed) AND hurts less than an ovarian cyst that is the size of a potato (also in her experience). The cool thing is that the discomfort stops when the child is out.

Pregnancy is NOT an illness.
LOL!! Having done all of the above except for a bad gall bladder, I can attest to the pain involved! Labor just took longer than you spend in the barbed wire or with the horse on top of you. :lol: That said, I did eventually have an epidural after 20 hours of labor with my son, and an epidural with my daughter because I was going to have my tubes tied the moment she was born so the epidural served both purposes.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
valmom said:
Farmfresh said:
Child birth feels much less painful than having a horse fall on you. Hurts a lot less that being drug through barbed wire. Hurts less than a bad gall bladder (which D2 had removed) AND hurts less than an ovarian cyst that is the size of a potato (also in her experience). The cool thing is that the discomfort stops when the child is out.

Pregnancy is NOT an illness.
LOL!! Having done all of the above except for a bad gall bladder, I can attest to the pain involved! Labor just took longer than you spend in the barbed wire or with the horse on top of you. :lol: That said, I did eventually have an epidural after 20 hours of labor with my son, and an epidural with my daughter because I was going to have my tubes tied the moment she was born so the epidural served both purposes.
Don't get me wrong there IS a place for pain meds and other medical procedures that sometimes occur with child birth. I am sure 20 hours of labor would do it. :lol:

My whole thought is that a NORMAL child birth is a natural process.

At least I knew when squeezing out that first 9 pounder the pain I was feeling would stop when the birth was over. The barbed wire incident left me in bad pain for several weeks and my daughter waited, doubled over in pain AFTER the pain meds were administered, for close to a MONTH before they took out her gall bladder and in bad pain for several weeks before they removed the ovarian cyst. Even a horrible 20 hour labor had a light at the end of the tunnel.

I guess I just get on my soap box because SO many people over react to pregnancy in general. :idunno

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I guess I just get on my soap box because SO many people over react to pregnancy in general. :idunno
I totally agree with that! I wish pregnant women didn't have to deal directly with the general public. Amazing what people say! :p

Wifezilla said:
Women died in child birth because nobody had figured out the whole hand washing thing until recently. Womwn giving birth in hospitals died a lot too untill they figured out what germs were.
Also women die from cephalopelvic disporoprtion (baby's head doesn't fit through the pelvis). Animals die from that too. Apparently the first guy to try a C-section on a human was a pig farmer/doctor who's wife was having problems delivering their last child. He had already done the procedure on his pigs with success.

But, as others have said . . . I agree that labor pain is subjective. I think some women suffer more than others. Also when labor doesn't appear to be going anywhere (over 12 hours with little progress) the pain will start to feel more intense because you become tired, hungry/thirsty, and probably the worst thing is you start to become despondent, which intensifies the pain (you loose sight of that light at the end of the tunnel).

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Farmfresh said:
I totally agree with that! I wish pregnant women didn't have to deal directly with the general public. Amazing what people say! :p
Wifezilla said:
Women died in child birth because nobody had figured out the whole hand washing thing until recently. Womwn giving birth in hospitals died a lot too untill they figured out what germs were.
Also women die from cephalopelvic disporoprtion (baby's head doesn't fit through the pelvis). Animals die from that too. Apparently the first guy to try a C-section on a human was a pig farmer/doctor who's wife was having problems delivering their last child. He had already done the procedure on his pigs with success.

But, as others have said . . . I agree that labor pain is subjective. I think some women suffer more than others. Also when labor doesn't appear to be going anywhere (over 12 hours with little progress) the pain will start to feel more intense because you become tired, hungry/thirsty, and probably the worst thing is you start to become despondent, which intensifies the pain (you loose sight of that light at the end of the tunnel).
Just wondering what exactly you meant by that (the bolded section)?

And that's interesting about the pig farmer/doctor.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was always amazed that my tummy apparently became public property! Total strangers seemed to feel it was perfectly ok to put their hand on my stomach and ask "when's the baby due?" " Does he kick much?" It didn't really bother me, but I did notice it because usually people are so careful to not touch each other unless they are related or very good friends.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL I always felt for those gals who had to waddle around with the big belly.

I gained only 19 lbs with my daughter and barely looked preggers. At 9 mos. I was in the grocery store saying I was super tired and hoped this kid would come out soon.....everyone was floored I was preggers.....they could not tell hardly LOL

I had no one asking me about my belly in public ever :lol:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Britesea said:
I was always amazed that my tummy apparently became public property! Total strangers seemed to feel it was perfectly ok to put their hand on my stomach and ask "when's the baby due?" " Does he kick much?" It didn't really bother me, but I did notice it because usually people are so careful to not touch each other unless they are related or very good friends.
You must be a saint. This one was a REAL peeve of mine. When people asked me, "Can I feel your stomach?" I usually replied something like, "Well you could try, but I won't be held responsible for the results." I guess I am scary, because nobody ever reached out their hand. :lol:

I had a wonderful pregnancy body. Let's just say I never stuck out too much in front ... I had to wear my maternity pants BACKWARDS! :lol: