FDA urges stronger safeguards for spices

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, for the love of Pete, can they not leave well enough alone?
That lead article is kinda scary.

I would like to thank my basil plant for self-sowing last year when I neglected it. I have about 12 tiny basils popping up in that sunny spot.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I over wintered mine...I snipped off tops when it tried to flower or got too tall and tossed the cuttings in to a paper bag to dry. The aroma from the plant and the cuttings is fantastic :D

GO BASIL!

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hoosier said:
I guess I missed the news story about masses of people dying from contaminated spices. . .
Seriously - has anyone ever heard of a problem with them?
The most recent incident was in mid to late Feb when Daniele International Inc. recalled a bunch of Itaian meat products like salami due to Salmonella Montevideo which was traced back to the black pepper and red pepper used to make them.

The pepper products came from Mincing Overseas Spice Company and Wholesome Spice Company and includes products also sold directly to consumers.

Here's a FDA news release/update from late last week:
http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm204147.htm

Also from Sept 2008 to March 2009 there was an outbreak of Salmonella Rissen (one of the most rare forms of Salmonella) in Northern Califormia and 4 other states. Again - traced back to spices - specifially white pepper produced by Hot Zone in a California plant.

Here are an older news article and a lawyer's blog entry related to that one:
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/03/spices_linked_to_latest_salmon.html

http://foodpoisoning.pritzkerlaw.co...ng-from-hot-zone-inside-california-plant.html

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Depends on the salt. Regular white table salt is actually industrial leftovers. Natural sundried sea salts are very good.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen these "irradiated" labels on their foods? I've looked, but haven't found any or maybe I haven't looked close enough or known what to look for.

I just love the comment about if the labeling practices would just go away. Ya just gotta wonder where these peoples minds are.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had never heard anything about spices until I read this thread, and I just came across it again today in our local bakery. (This is a new bakery that grinds their own flour, use sugar cane or sucanat. . .I am trying to adjust my taste buds!)

Latest posts