Feed and food prices are supposed to skyrocket again

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
My feed intake goes up and down periodically.... I am sure that the prices will go up. So I am thinning my flock down extensively and I am trying to figure up how much to put back...

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Thankfully most food prices are pretty stable here. We still have good sales, and i stock up then. Plus we have been shopping at Sam's Club for a lot of things as well, so we are getting things for less than we used to anyway. I used $28 in coupons yesterday on a $200 order too, that helps as well.

Feed prices OTOH are going nowhere but through the roof. I'm looking into planting some grains this Fall, LOTS.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DianeS said:
I stopped in the grocery store today for some spaghetti sauce and saw that Huntz has gone from 86 cents per can to $1.36 per can. I bought a bunch of the 86 cent ones just three weeks ago! That's an insanely high increase in price. Sheesh.
Isn't it sickening? Our's went from a dollar to $1.50 awhile ago... Just like that, HUGE jump all at once. I wonder what they'll be like around here with the increase. I wish I had done more with tomatoes in the garden this year.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can't remember what year, but ABOUT 6 years ago or so feed too a dramatic price increase per ton. We always bought hog feed by the ton, goat chow by the ton, and chicken feed by the ton. reasonable....then BOOM. It jumped alot. THEN I SAID it was pricing me out of the market. I went and bought a bag of goat chow the other day. I have so much pasture I just about stopped feeding them other than mineral block......but the price. HOLY GOAT! HAHA they are getting the feed very sparingly :)

my grocery prices are still on the increase. When I go each time something has gone up a bit more.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
DianeS said:
I stopped in the grocery store today for some spaghetti sauce and saw that Huntz has gone from 86 cents per can to $1.36 per can. I bought a bunch of the 86 cent ones just three weeks ago! That's an insanely high increase in price. Sheesh.
Isn't it sickening? Our's went from a dollar to $1.50 awhile ago... Just like that, HUGE jump all at once. I wonder what they'll be like around here with the increase. I wish I had done more with tomatoes in the garden this year.
Maybe you're raising something on your place you could trade to a neighbor? Such as to someone who has raised a lot of tomatoes (outdoor garden or greenhouse).

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I am more or less worried about feed...not so much groceries. We produce most of our vegetables we eat. We are also getting better about utilizing the seasonal growing vegetables. I need to order some seeds to fix up a fall salad garden because this blasted heat my last sown one never came up :/ But I am going to plant some peas, brocolli, lettuce, greens, spinach, carrotts, in about a month or so....

Then for things like flour and sugar we buy them in bulk from sams club about two or three times a year.

But I am going to have reduce my poultry numbers soon, they eat so much! I have about 25 roosters, about 10 of which will be slaughter weight soon. So that'll help my pantry and then I have a few hens to part with. Then hopefully it will be a more manageable number...

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just need to find grain around here for a decent price. The feed mill wants $19/100lbs of corn!!! There's no fn way I'm paying that much for a bag of corn.
Bettacreek, may I ask what you would consider a decent price? It seems to me that 20c/pound isn't much, but what do I know? I haven't bought a sack of just plain corn for my birds, so don't know what the prices are around here, though I would bet that I couldn't get it for 20c/lb. On the other hand, maybe I could if I bought lots at a time, but with my tiny flock that would present its own problems :/

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, it sounded way off to me (my dad used to buy it at $5/100lbs). Now, I know that prices have increased, but I don't know about THAT much. My brother is saying that the guy he buys cattle feed off of sells the loose corn at $5/bushel, so I'm waiting for him to get off his arse and get me in contact with this fella.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I am going to try and "forage" for my corn....I am also going to cut the chickens down to 12 instead of 25 hens (what I usually keep) and cull out all my roosters, and the extra tom turkeys.

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have about 30 hatched chicks from 4 mo. to l mo.....cannot decide how to cull adults...the older ones for sure and they are only 2 years old...have 16 Isa Browns 8 mo. (keeping for eggs)..the rest are yard hens, Bos - RIR - bsl - barred rock all great breeds.. killed all but 1 Roo...Buff Orpington... Rice mill sells cracked rice -- and rice bran....My husband said his grandparents fed the chickens bran and they called it LAYING MASH... we milk a cow and I feed the extra-extra to the chickens with bran mixed in....not wasting anything here either...by the way they love it ..So....is keeping the 30 chickes as my next year flock and layers wise...cannot determine the roos yet but they will deff. go ... praying for us all......G