Feed prices

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. We bought bulk feed for the steer, it will run about the time he goes to slaughter. But then we get pigs and Cornish cross chickens. Plus the sheep, horses and laying hens. Can’t win.....

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Feed will continue to go up since "all of a sudden" we do not have the surplus stockpiles they said we had. Believe me, I see this all the time between what we feed and all the dairies I am around. Soybeans, which make a a good portion of the protein additive, in rations, were $10 a bushel last fall. One of my farmers sold his on storage back about 6-8 weeks ago for $12. They are over $14 now and the general consensus is they could hit as high as $18 to $20 by summer before they know how many acres are planted and how the weather is going. Soybeans are often planted as a second crop.... called double cropping.... after another crop has been taken off the field, like early barley or wheat. Corn is over $4 a bushel...
I filled my 2 1/2 ton bin with layer pellets, and DS got 4 ton of the 17% pellet we top dress our corn silage with to feed the feeder steers and heifers. He will go through it fairly steady since we have over 40 on feed now and another 25 to move in there; until they get sold in Mar-April???? Maybe late this month.... We are watching the prices and if feed goes up too much, price per pound goes down on the feeders and we can lose too much with the feed that is in them. Don't know when I am going to get more "left behinds" so wanted to have feed ready for them. I feed it to my few purebreds, and the meat birds do just fine on it.
If fuel gets too high, there will be less double crops planted as the farmers won't be able to afford to harvest the crops.... and all that fuel goes into the grain bin dryers too so if it is a wet year, it will cost a bundle to get the grain dried down to a storable level.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not buying into the "shortage" lie. Not when my neighbors told me, 2020 was the best year they can remember for corn. Someone or some group of someone's is not telling the truth and are liars.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not buying into the "shortage" lie. Not when my neighbors told me, 2020 was the best year they can remember for corn. Someone or some group of someone's is not telling the truth and are liars.
Say it ain't so!!!! I can't imagine that any one would possibly be stating falsehoods for self benefit.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If fuel gets too high, there will be less double crops planted as the farmers won't be able to afford to harvest the crops.... and all that fuel goes into the grain bin dryers too so if it is a wet year, it will cost a bundle to get the grain dried down to a storable level.

if they can get good enough prices for what they grow fuel prices won't prevent planting or harvest. at present i see no long term indication that oil is heading higher than it has in the recent past. instead i suspect what will happen will be like what has happened in the past. as the price goes up more production is brought on-line and eventually that drives the prices back down.

as time goes on the supply of oil will be even greater in reserve if there is enough people able to afford and use an electric car/truck instead. that will be a significant headwind for price increases to beat against.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
if they can get good enough prices for what they grow fuel prices won't prevent planting or harvest. at present i see no long term indication that oil is heading higher than it has in the recent past. instead i suspect what will happen will be like what has happened in the past. as the price goes up more production is brought on-line and eventually that drives the prices back down.

as time goes on the supply of oil will be even greater in reserve if there is enough people able to afford and use an electric car/truck instead. that will be a significant headwind for price increases to beat against.

I think your thoughts are wishful thinking - ask yourself one simple question. Can you afford a new electric car? I know I can't. Maybe your Mrs Warbucks but I sure ain't Mr. Warbucks.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Agreed with you, Creal. We are gonna see prices go through the roof on both fuel and food. mr. biden will use escalated fuel prices as well as his EO's to force folks into electric vehicles. Then... he'll have us right where he wants us... with even less competition to help drive prices down.