Feed Sack Shopping bag!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, I better get busy. I kinda broke my old sewing machine bobbin on the last one. I am afraid to use the new on on the feed sack. I will work on it though. Now that I have such an expanding market. :D

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Is there any way to explain to the sewing-challenged how to do this? I have been saving my feed sacks to make some of these. (Or at least try to convince and explain to my MIL how to do them). I absolutely love them. I had seen them on BYC before. I actually went back to buying my feed at a different place just to get the right sacks!!
I think someone said they cut it open somehow and started with a flat sack (?) Is that right? Like a piece of material? Where do I split it? Is there anyway to post pictures of your work - in - progress?

Thanks in advance for ANY advice you can give to a wannabe sewer!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I actually used a paper gift bag as a pattern. I had several different sizes and just picked the one that fit the graphics best. I cut the gift bag apart and Wala a pattern. One thing to keep in mind is the seam allowance. The last bag I made turned out a bit small after I stitched it. But it had a much neater appearance. the one pictured was just thrown together in about 30 min. I am working on the rolled top for strength as well as a more boxy bottom and a pressing method. Every one who sews will understand pressed neat seams are a must. The bags just get a bit wrinkled and it drives me nuts.

Good luck to you!! Le me know how it goes.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Those are really cool bags!! They do not sell feed anywhere around here in bags like these!!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Tankshill, I emailed and PM'd you with some info!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you so much, I am on idea overload between the feed bags and the embroidery ideas. I think 2009 is going to be a very great year!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You have inspired me! We get feed in paper sacks, but I just bought 50# of black oil sunflower seeds from TSC and it came in the right kind of bag with beautiful pictures on it! And it is HUGE! I think I might get two bags out of it.

Your bags are gorgeous, I bet you will sell a bunch of them! I bet you could also easily get plenty of "donated" bags if you need more. And if you hand-paint on them, charge MUCH more....should sell like hotcakes at a farmer's market. Be sure to use them when you go grocery shopping....stop in at a busy time and have a couple extra with you in your trunk, new ones, that is.

I have a friend who sells her handmade jewelry right off her neck by wearing it shopping at high-end boutique stores. She doesn't buy anything but the very reduced clearance, but runs into people with money....if they admire, she leans in and whispers that she makes jewelry and that it is for sale, and that she also does custom work.

Worth a try for the bolder personality type. I would have a shy attack, myself. :hide