Feedback Needed: Add Required Field During Signup?

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
This new system we're on has a lot of great features. One of them allows us to create a new field that is required for members to fill out during signup / registration. We can then display this field in their "postbit" (the area to the left of every post with the avatar, location, etc.).

For example, on my printer forum we require that new members enter in the model of printer they own, and display that below their Avatar on every post.

This does 2 things:
  1. It helps reduce the amount of spam since robots don't know how to use the field and other country spammers struggle with the question
  2. It helps members know more about their fellow members who are posting
So, we're thinking of adding a required field here too, but we need your help on brainstorming what that field should be. What basic information should we require of every member that signs up that would be helpful and/or fun to know?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Hope you don't want to know what printer I use cuz I rarely have one hooked up!

Maybe ask what someone's favorite breed of chicken or goat is.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
the Cloth vs Paper question? :idunnoThat should stump about everyone.

I checked out the other site you referenced above, maybe it not my thing, but I don't see a lot of value in that info - I own 2 printers, so which do I put in there, or if I have one and change make/model can I update it? :idunno

This forum isn't topic focused enough - BYC and BYH could ask for a favorite breed, TEG could ask for favorite veggie. The forum has always been the odd duck. Deb makes a good point, but not everyone here has critters

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
:hu

It's a good idea, but this forum is so broad topic wise it would be hard to make a decent question.

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How about style of location for being self sufficient....
City
Farm
Prepper
homesteader

Each has its own particular requirements and issues for being self sufficent

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Great comments & discussion everyone!!!
:thumbsup

I think you all have good points regarding the vast diversity of topics here that make any single datapoint very hard to ask for all members.

I think @perchie.girl had a great idea to ask people about their living situation, for example, maybe a checkbox where people choose from things like inner city, urban, suburbs, rural, farm, off-the-grid, etc?

Would it be helpful to know if someone posting is living in a city or out in the middle of nowhere?

Alternatively we can just skip the question if there isn't any value to adding it.

Keep the ideas coming!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I think it would be, personally. Your goals and motives change depending on your purpose or location. Not to mention your attitudes toward certain things.

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think there would great value to know the living location type.

This affects The types of Goods readily available, Home grown foods vs a good deal at the Grocery store.... The ability to store food for long term... IE space. IT takes alot of space to store home canned goods enough to last several months.

Rural people may have difficulty replying on occasion. When i move up to my house in the distance for instance I will only be on Dialup... Or occasionally on a T1 at the library.

Plus these are things that are unique to consider for Self Sufficiency...

deb