Feeding a lactating doe.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I realize Lori already has a thread similar, but I have a few questions and didn't want to hijack her thread.

this one is about feeding a lactating doe. If everything goes well tomorrow, I plan on bringing tha saanen home. I am not big on feeding grain to any of my critters, but I realize a lactating doe will need more than normal. I have 2nd cut grass and alfalfa hay, first cut grass hay. Is this okay? B/c I can get different hay for her. I have alfalfa timothy cubes, wheat, whole corn and whole oats and BOSS. I am soaking the wheat and oats for the chickens, with occasional BOSS. for the big critters, I hand feed breed specific minerals and the horses also get a small amount of soaked beet pulp ( but I am going to cut that out as soon as the bag is empty) All critters get some fruits and veggies.

So, my questions are for when the doe is in the milking stand. Out of what I have, what and how much should she get? Or should I get her something else. Of course I will take into consideration what she has been getting,and I will transition her gradually, but I would much prefer her to be on a more natural diet, while still providing for her nutritional needs.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'd go with a tiny bit of the corn mixed with wheat and oats. Enough to make about a quart or so of feed for her in the stand. That's all mine eats while she's in there. Then just give her a flake of good hay daily as well.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I would give her free choice hay....the 2nd cut grass/alfalfa. On the milking stand I would give the soaked oats and wheat (maybe a small coffee can total) with a half cup BOSS (you can soak this too...better yet, sprout the whole mess!) I also give about a half cup to a cup of dry beet pulp, soaked in hot water for a half hour or so (it is the first thing I do in the morning) and I also throw in some alfalfa pellets and chopped veggie scraps from our food prep. I feed as much alfalfa pellets as it takes to get my work done. I usually just put a handful in the feed pan, and keep a small coffee can by the leg of the milking stand or on the shelf behind me, ready to add to the pan if she is fast and I am slow that day, or say I hear some disaster happening on the other side of the wall that I have to go check on while she is hoovering.

I skip the beet pulp and alfalfa pellets entirely if I have lots of veggie scraps. They are mostly to slow her down and give me time to finish. If you have nice second cut hay with alfalfa in it, she will get plenty....plus things will be growing soon. Right? Right? Someone tell me spring is coming and won't skip this year....

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Yes Free--spring is coming soon. :lol:We are covered in water. I bought the alfalfa cubes just for the goat, figuring that they wouldslow her downso I could get the milking done. worked for the ewes.

Ok, good. so it looks like Ihave everything I will need.

I'm getting a goat!!!!!!!!!!!!:celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate

Better yet, RAW MILK!!!!!! :celebrate :celebrate :weee :celebrate :celebrate
:woot

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
oh yeah, edit----- I am sprouting them ala Free's directions for sprouting for your critters. :p

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You are gonna LOVE it! I hope she has bigger teats than my Ginger had last year.....I hope my Ginger has bigger teats this year than last year! :lol: I felt boobie on her today......woohoo! Milk for us, soon....in about a month!