Fels Naphtha safety

Anderson

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Since this thread was bumped from 2009, I thought it best to point out the Wiki comment says :

Fels-Naptha used to contain Stoddard solvent, a skin and eye irritant. According to the ingredients list on the Fels-Naptha website, Stoddard solvent is no longer included in the soap.[1]

According to the "Chronic Health Effects" section of the National Institutes of Health's MSDS for the original formulation of Fels-Naptha:
Chronic toxicity testing has not been conducted on this product. However, the following effects have been reported on one of the product's components. Stoddard solvent: Repeated or prolonged exposure to high concentrations has resulted in upper respiratory tract irritation, central and peripheral nervous system effects, and possibly hematopoetic, liver and kidney effects.
Stoddard solvent is another name for mineral spirits, which are, like petroleum distillates, a mixture of multiple chemicals made from petroleum. Exposure to Stoddard solvent in the air can affect your nervous system and cause dizziness, headaches, or a prolonged reaction time. It can also cause eye, skin, or throat irritation.[3]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fels-Naptha

It also used to include Naphthalene....... but neither ingredient is continued in today's bar

Both Fels and Zote can be found on the laundry aisle at Walmart......Zote is on the detergent side and Fels in the laundry stain remover section, both sell for 97-cents

Here are the ingredients according to the felsnaptha.com site

Soap (sodium tallowate*, sodium cocoate* (or) sodium palmate kernelate*, and sodium palmate*), water, talc, cocnut acid*, palm acid*, tallow acid*, PEG-6 methyl ether, glycerin, sorbitol, sodium chloride, pentasodium pentetate and/or tetrasodium etidronate, titatium dioxide, fragrance, Acid Orange (CI 20170), Acid yellow 73 (ci43350)

*contains one or more of these ingredients

Luv and Huggles Yall

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Thank you for posting that information! I was interested to see a product called "Naptha" in the mineral spirits department of our hardware store over the weekend. It does make sense that a solvent would make for a good degreasing bar. I'm glad to hear that the unsafe ingredients have been removed however. Some things that were once considered harmless have proven to not be necessarily so.

Nichole

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
That is great to know! I am planning on making some this weekend and was actually wondering how safe it was.

Nichole