Fels Naptha soap question

SerenityPrayer

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'm new to making laundry soap and I have run into an oddity that I wonder if any of you could address. In making my second batch of detergent, I realized that my new batch of Fels Naptha soap is totally different from the first bars that I bought. The first ones grated very easily and were wonderful to use, but this batch is oily and keeps clogging up my grater. Is this a normal problem? If so, is there a way of getting them to a less greasy consistency so they are easier to grate?

Thanks!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Your first batch was made with an older bar of soap. The new one is fresher. If you unwrap it and let it sit out for a few days or so, it will dry out and be easier to grate just like the first batch.

SerenityPrayer

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thank you! I figured there must be some drying out process, but I wasn't certain how long to leave them out. I need more detergent ASAP, so I will definitely be more prepared in the future.

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hmm... I am still using on my first batch of laundry soap and my bar of naptha was oily like that too and didn't grate too well, but I just thought that was the way it was supposed to be. I love my detergent. I am just about ready to make a second batch. It has lasted me 6 or 7 months.

SerenityPrayer

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I wish mine lasted that long! I'm doing about 4-5 loads a day (5 children age 7 and under) and it seems as though I'm going to be making it pretty frequently!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
LOL

I am lucky if a get a month out of mine. I have an adult autistic son who is like having 5 children under the age of 7 in his mess making abilities :p

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Guess I am pretty lucky then..lol.. I have a teenage Daughter (18) and my son is 11 yrs old and then just Hubby and me . We don't have that much to do especially right now. In the summer I tend to do more laundry since my son and Hubby are always working outside and getting dirty. :)