FEM's 2020 Kidding Thread

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We're still at least a month away from the first kidding so this may be a very boring thread for awhile.

Even though we're a ways away from any delivery I started doe pampering today. I checked membranes and wormed a few "regulars" last week...sigh. So today I took out some Replamin and gave them all a nice taste. (Replamin Gel Plus is a nutritional source of amino acid chelated/complexed minerals and vitamins for all classes of cattle, horse, goat, and swine.) They love the stuff and it really does a body good. I'll start CDT shots in the next couple days. Also going to try something different with the girls this year. I'm going to give the moms some Vit E and Selenium Gel before kidding. For the last couple of years I've noticed that some of the kids just seem to do better if they get a little dab at birth. This year I'm going to give it to the moms and see if that makes any difference at all. While I'm thinking about it I need to get some Toltrazuril ordered too. It is THE best thing for preventing coccidia problems that I've ever used. A dose at 3, 6, and 9 weeks is usually all it takes. I've been known to give another dose at 12 weeks if we're having a really bad, sloppy, wet, nasty year. Normal stuff around here, lol.

I'll get some pics in a couple days - when the sun comes back out again and keep track of udder progress if I can keep up with it.

Starting to get excited!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
and people say goats are easy...
Somebody forgot to tell MY goats, lol. Because I live where we get a lot of rain and very little cold weather we have to deal with parasites year round... That makes things a bit more complicated...:barnie

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Poured rain today... ugh. I’m not happy- goats aren’t happy. Managed to sneak a quick shot of Snippet’s udder. It’s been developing slowly for a couple of weeks and nowhere near being baby ready.

6E5C984D-48E5-4CFA-A040-6194A0637985.jpeg

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Spent a lot of time with the girls today. Most of them got their CDT boosters and a couple of 'em got wormed. Got a pic of Noir's belly. Noir is 2nd generation Kinder. Terrible angle, terrible topline and terrible hair do - but she makes beautiful, thick babies.
FC644060-30F1-4E83-9165-3DF5B18C7A9B.jpeg

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Still waiting - but a bit closer to K-day.

Got a shot of Patch. She's definitely got a baby belly - but definitely not expecting more than two - if that.
DD473762-5FF3-4894-9924-F2B81519C01F.jpeg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love Nubian color differences...Saanen, well...white can get boring. But temperament is quiet, the milk is good and plentiful. :D Mine are mostly mixed. I do so want a couple moonspotted. Coming soon?? I always keep watching. I love the wild colors. Wish we were closer.

Right now, the Boers are in my scope. Spring babies are on my radar -- the guy who had the awesome spotted buck is having kids coming along now. Need to go see.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses There are some really pretty spotted Boers out there! Hope you can get some eye candy along with a great meat goat.

With Conan putting his Kiko influence on my herd I've got a lot of white/cream goats in the herd now. I can't say it's my fav...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Could potentially have baby goats on the ground by the end of next week. I honestly think it'll be a few days beyond that, but we're getting so close!!! I'm excited. I want babies - and I want milk!

This is Blackie. Predicting a single for her first kidding.
5564E472-509F-4B3D-861B-F101B0D20483.jpeg