Fence chickens or fence garden?

Theo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I know full well you can't have a garden with chickens in it. Last year I kept the chickens in their coop, which has an 8x16' run attached. They were let out for foraging only occasionally. Obviously they prefer to roam about a bit, and we have the room to allow it, but they make a beeline for the garden every time. I would like the chickens to be outside the coop more often, during spring and summer, so they can get some of their own food.

Chicken predators: not really a problem. My tenant's brother's dog has eaten a few of my chickens, and he is now under restraint when he visits. Garden pests: Nutria. They haven't been too bad this year, but they do like to nibble on things.

The way I see it, I either fence in my chickens, or fence in my garden. I can't afford to do both right now, and really, I can't afford to fence my garden properly, as it sprawls over a 100 square foot area. The chickens have been scratching up my newly planted potatoes, of all things. I planted the potatoes in straw, which made it really simple for them. Well, now I know why you shouldn't plant potatoes in straw! If it makes it easier for you to dig potatoes, it is easier for everyone.

I have been looking at different fencing materials: chicken wire, T-posts, wire netting, electric netting. I like the electric fencing because it is portable, but I dislike being dependent on electricity. Traditional fencing is darned expensive, and you must find a way to stretch it, to keep it from sagging. I could fence half of my garden, the side with tender young cabbages and potatoes, because that is the side most likely to sustain damage from nutria and chickens. Or I could use traditional fencing and fence a large area for my chickens. Trouble with that is it's not portable; chickens may run the soil down in short order by scratching; we have hemlock growing everywhere and bored chickens might decide to eat some. I can dig it of course, but it creeps in everywhere. Free ranging chickens pay no attention to it.

So, let's say my budget for any kind of fencing is under $300. What is the most sensible tack to take?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We always had the chickens allowed to go through there. Never really a problem. I personally would just fence the garden if it were me.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
you could consider collecting free pallets and it wont even cost 50.00/75.00

Theo said:
I know full well you can't have a garden with chickens in it. Last year I kept the chickens in their coop, which has an 8x16' run attached. They were let out for foraging only occasionally. Obviously they prefer to roam about a bit, and we have the room to allow it, but they make a beeline for the garden every time. I would like the chickens to be outside the coop more often, during spring and summer, so they can get some of their own food.

Chicken predators: not really a problem. My tenant's brother's dog has eaten a few of my chickens, and he is now under restraint when he visits. Garden pests: Nutria. They haven't been too bad this year, but they do like to nibble on things.

The way I see it, I either fence in my chickens, or fence in my garden. I can't afford to do both right now, and really, I can't afford to fence my garden properly, as it sprawls over a 100 square foot area. The chickens have been scratching up my newly planted potatoes, of all things. I planted the potatoes in straw, which made it really simple for them. Well, now I know why you shouldn't plant potatoes in straw! If it makes it easier for you to dig potatoes, it is easier for everyone.

I have been looking at different fencing materials: chicken wire, T-posts, wire netting, electric netting. I like the electric fencing because it is portable, but I dislike being dependent on electricity. Traditional fencing is darned expensive, and you must find a way to stretch it, to keep it from sagging. I could fence half of my garden, the side with tender young cabbages and potatoes, because that is the side most likely to sustain damage from nutria and chickens. Or I could use traditional fencing and fence a large area for my chickens. Trouble with that is it's not portable; chickens may run the soil down in short order by scratching; we have hemlock growing everywhere and bored chickens might decide to eat some. I can dig it of course, but it creeps in everywhere. Free ranging chickens pay no attention to it.

So, let's say my budget for any kind of fencing is under $300. What is the most sensible tack to take?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You can get 164 ft. of the electric poultry netting for $164 (shipping included) and a solar charger for around $100. Well within your budget, can be taken down and stored at the end of the season, will keep out the chickens, the nutria, rabbits, etc. Has the stakes built in, is light weight and easy for one person to manage and looks attractive. Can be used later to contain your chickens for free ranging without having to worry about stray dogs making surprise attacks...this fence has some good zappage.

Wish I had looked into it years ago when I spent tons of money fencing in my garden with a permanent fence that my chickens STILL were able to hop up onto(they won't do this with the electric netting..not without a major surprise and a scream)the fencing and posts and into my garden.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I got my 164 ft. roll of electronet for 109 without shipping from Premier 1 Supplies

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We chose to fence our garden and let the birds free range. It cost about $150 for a 80' x 80' area. We used a portable type post and deer netting. It works great and was cheap.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Last year we fenced the garden but still had issues with raccoons and few other things that are not fence proof. I used welded wire but needed to add fencing elsewhere and was broke so I used that fencing since the garden was done anyway. This year I think I will go for netted fencing from Manards... it's about $30 for (I think) 100' , $20 for 50'. The cool thing is, it has pockets and slips over the posts and is easy to do. When your done slip it off the posts and roll it up. Not as bulky and wire.

Detlor Poultry

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Fence garden. Your garden doesn't need to be free to find all of it's food to allow for free husbandry ;)