fence project

mirime

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This isn't a huge project by some standards, but it has been for us! We both work full-time and with all the rain we have been getting, it's been slow going (AND we started it LAST summer) eeep!

We got a bunch of board feet from a friend (left over from one or more of his projects); since it is all in different widths and lengths, most of our (or should I say my DH's) time is spent ripping and then cutting each picket.

Our yard is about 130' x 72' so it's not huge. We're done with both the east and wide sides, now just to do the back and front (gates).

Since the wood isn't pressure treated, we thought we'd paint it with fence paint/stain. I swear, the paint is gonna cost more than the wood did! :lol:

64_morefencework.jpg

mirime

Power Conserver
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
You could look into the old-fashioned white wash technique.
I will - thanks!

Tutter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That looks super! And boy do I ever know what hard work it is!

Thanks for sharing it with us! :)

mirime

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks Tutter! We never thought it would be as time-consuming as it is! :rolleyes:

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ah, the seemingly never-ending farm project...we always have a few of those on the never-ending list of farm projects! :lol:

It's going to look great when it's finished, though.

You could try whitewashing, but you will have to constantly maintain it. The elements (rain primarily) are going to do a real number on it. It's not permanent like paint or stain. But here's a good link if you want to look into it more: http://fiascofarm.com/recipes/whitewash.html

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
That is a nice looking fence. And I know how you feel- I've think I've spent half my life digging fence post holes. Every time I swear it's the last- then I have another bright idea...................

mirime

Power Conserver
Reaction score
BrookValley said:
Ah, the seemingly never-ending farm project...we always have a few of those on the never-ending list of farm projects! :lol:

It's going to look great when it's finished, though.

You could try whitewashing, but you will have to constantly maintain it. The elements (rain primarily) are going to do a real number on it. It's not permanent like paint or stain. But here's a good link if you want to look into it more: http://fiascofarm.com/recipes/whitewash.html
Thanks - I'll check that out!
and we don't even HAVE a farm and there's always a project! I cannot imagine having more property than we do!

mirime

Power Conserver
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
That is a nice looking fence. And I know how you feel- I've think I've spent half my life digging fence post holes. Every time I swear it's the last- then I have another bright idea...................
Thanks! and :)