Fence

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Even though it started raining at 11:00 AM. We got one long side of my four acre pasture fenced today and it's tight. OK... my son and I are amateurs, we admit it 100%.

What happens when a 502 foot pull of Bekaert woven wire sheep goat fence with 805 lb. breaking strength meets a 1962 Allis Chalmers D19 and two imperfect amateur fencers? Well you may want to continue reading to find out :rolleyes:

I had the tractor in idle high 1 pulling, Son yells just a little more pop's! So I dropped the oil clutch in to low 1 and eased back into the pull. Next thing you know, all I heard was SNAP. Yep broke both top and bottom wires and all the center wires. Thank God no one was hurt and my cemented in railroad tie bracing was not hurt either. Of course my wife came out at that exact time to ask us if we we hungry, so she seen it all happen and could do nothing but laugh along with my son and I 😂

We cut that section of the fence out and grippled it back together, gripple joiners another cool Bekaert product. Then I pulled in high 1 at idle again and man that's one tight fence. 🥳

I said it before and I'll say it again. Whoever invented LockJawz Spring Wire Clips, should be given the Nobel Peace Prize.

Get-R-Done

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lock Jawz spring wire clips?? WHAT????? Where were these when we were putting up fence here? Thanks for the tip, I see more fencing in my future and will DEFINATELY be using these!

Powered down on it huh? :lol: :lol: At least you know where the breaking point it!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have the Lock Jawz universal electric T-post insulators, I like them!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have the Lock Jawz universal electric T-post insulators, I like them!
When I ordered 1000 of the spring clips from Lockjawz directly. they threw in one of the t-post insulators in the box to tease me and I believe it worked (the teasing part). The lockjawz insulators seems like a much better product than those yellow Dare ones that bend and break easily.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wife helping me pull fence today. We had the stretcher hooked up the farm truck because I busted the casing on the tractor starter.

Not bad using farm truck to pull fence. A loop of logging chain hooked to the trailer hitch. Then logging chain hooked to the top and bottom of the stretcher with a 4 ton come-a-long in-between. Pull farm truck forward till everything is tight. Then fine tune with the come-a-long.

When I say fine tune I meant that. My wife she is so curious 😍. I was tightening the come-a-long and the fence stood up all by itself. She said that's amazing. I said you ain't seen nothing yet.

I kept tightening the come-a-long, plucking the horizontal wires in-between the corner post and the stretcher. She said they sound like a bass. I said a little flat sounding to me. I gave the come-a-long a couple of more click and plucked out a made up bass line for for her on the horizontal wires. She said oh that's nice 😂 I said, bet you didn't think you would hear a bass out here in the pasture did you? She said no, but you'll find a way to make a bass out of just about anything. I said that's because, I ALWAYS Must Have, MORE BASS. She laughed... She's funny and cute in her hoodie and yellow muck boots with red hearts on them ❤️ had to go sit in farm truck to get warm. She is fun to work with.

Anyways I much prefer pulling fence with the tractor. The new starter will be here Monday, then I can get the tractor moving again. The starter is a beast, it has to weigh a good 20 lbs. No good way to weld cast iron, that I am aware of or I would weld it. But it should make for a good boat anchor. It's completely my fault that it's broken.
IMG_20211030_193805736.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My son and my brand new daughter-in-law helped pull the other 504' long side this afternoon. I told my daughter in law, this is a long pull and will need a lot of tension to get the fence to stand up. Get in farm truck in case this thing breaks and fence goes every which way and could cut you up or get wrapped up in it. She took me serious and watched my son and I fine tune the pull from farm truck's window. It's up, tight and tied, plus we got all the top wire clips on the t-posts with no breakage this time. 👍

BTW I also highly recommend Bekaert's Gripple Joiners. A great product for joining fence that's longer than a single roll (330') and well worth the cost in my opinion.

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Interesting product, I would be willing to try it , we have a lot of fence an every once in awhile the clips get lost or broke off from the live stock.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I put T-post clips on, I twist both sides around the wire. They don't come loose. It does make it more interesting if I have to take the fence down for any reason.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Horray the last run of approx 385' is pulled and stapled tight. Wife helped a little bit. I'm almost done with the 4 acre pasture \o/

All I got left to do is, staple and tie off to 3 rail road ties. Clip the 385' to about 34 t-posts. Go get 2 16 foot gates and hang them. Hammer stretch, staple and tie a 20' section for two 12x20 foot stalls, to separate them from the other two 12x20 stalls. Hammer stretch, staple and tie about an 8' section. Get a tub for water and set that up with a heater so it don't freeze. Clean out the stalls... weed whack and cut a couple of saplings at ground level, find place for the bucket for my bobcat. take down some 2x6 bracing, now that I got a roof on the stalls and spread some old hay on the ground of both of them. Then go purchase 2 angus steer calfs (black or red I ain't picky) and finally put their hooves on the pasture.

Wait a doggone minute... Who am I fooling? I'm nowhere near being done.

I can say with 100% certainty though... no one will need to rock me to sleep tonight. I slept like a rock last night, and I know I'll sleep like a rock again tonight. Wife said I about ran her out of bed, snoring so loud she had to poke me to get me on my side. I don't remember any of it.

Last edited: